Rust repair help 1959 Thunderbird

ronhug

ronhug

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently purchased a 1959 tbird with rust issues I am a accomplished do-it-yourselfer with plenty of time and no brains my intent is to turn this into a somewhat decent driver I would like to talk to somebody first hand that has repaired floorboard rust and rocker rust themselves to see if maybe they can offer me some tips advice and help please message me directly thank you

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Cutting out the rusted panels and welding in new is the best solution. Using a mig welder is not very difficult or expensive to purchase if you don’t have one.

i agree, the fastest and easiest way is to cut out and weld new parts ... just take your time and you'll be fine .... check out my gaallery and see what i am into ...... lol

My opinion. Get a MIG welder. Take your time. Practice welds on some scraps to make sure you are getting good penetration / joining. Then when you start, work from underneath / inside. That way as you get more proficient you will be working your way to the outside welds that will be visible. Also As you get better at welding it will stay straighter and have better welds that will require less body filler to finish it up and then paint.

yes i agree totally, that is my " plan " too i just bought the harbour freight 200 amp titanium to do just that AND its on sale right now with coupon .... yeah i know i dont " need" anythigh that big ... but what the heck ..spoil myself

yes i agree totally, that is my " plan " too i just bought the harbour freight 200 amp titanium to do just that AND its on sale right now with coupon .... yeah i know i dont " need" anythigh that big ... but what the heck ..spoil myself
Nothing wrong with getting something more than you need. I like my cars to have more horsepower than I need, also. LOL. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it! I have a smaller welder and sometimes I am welding on thicker material and wish I had a larger welder. If I'm doing large welds I sometimes have to work it in layers.

Anyone have info on using steel tubing to fix rusted inner rockers?

Just get the replacement panels. Don’t use shoot scrap where there is quality replacement!
http://www.classicsheetmetal.com/thunderbird58-60.html

EastWood has a nice MIG welder for around $250. Can use gas as well for a cleaner weld over flux. Eastwood has a a lot of what you need for paint and other body work related stuff. I am not really trying to promote them, but I will say that everything I needed when I started restoring my 1969 tbird I got from them. There is a wealth of resources to restore your square bird. Just look around and do it right the first time!

Just get the replacement panels. Don’t use shoot scrap where there is quality replacement!
http://www.classicsheetmetal.com/thunderbird58-60.html

EastWood has a nice MIG welder for around $250. Can use gas as well for a cleaner weld over flux. Eastwood has a a lot of what you need for paint and other body work related stuff. I am not really trying to promote them, but I will say that everything I needed when I started restoring my 1969 tbird I got from them. There is a wealth of resources to restore your square bird. Just look around and do it right the first time!

i agree that is where im buying my panels for my car

Back