Rules for breaking in the car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I generally hear very conflicting opinions about the "break in" period. Some say you should vary your speeds, others say you should stay under 65 mph and some say you should drive normally.

I have only about 200 miles on mine and I'm debating a trip from NY to Norcross, GA this monday. I could fly, drive my old Taurus or take the new T-Bird. Some of my friends are trying to talk me out of taking the T-Bird because they think it's not broken in enough.

What you you think?

------------------
Joe
TBIRD II - My License Plate

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have had new '96, '98 and a '00 Mustang GTs and now the'02 Bird, in all cases I was told not to hold a steady rpm for the first 500 miles. This, I believe, is to prevent a ridge from forming at the top of the piston stroke.

We drove from St. Pete to Franklin, NC the week after we got the car. I had a 200 mile trip from the dealership to home when I picked up the car and did not use the cruise control on the trip home. When we left for the NC trip I had just rolled over 500 miles. I used the cruise control for the entire trip up and back (2600 miles round trip) and have not had any signs of trouble. I used 1/2 quart of oil in the first 4500 miles but this I believe is normal for a new engine, the Mustangs did the same. I have not seen any oil usage since then.

Take the Bird, you won't regret it.
smile.gif

-

Over the years I've had from new a 84 Bird, 87 Bird, 89 Bird, 90 Bird, 95 Bird, and a 97 F-150 and now an 02 Bird. I have broken these all in the same way. Vary the speed for the first 500 miles and at 1200 to 1500 miles change the oil and filter. Have never had any problems.

------------------
02 T-Bird
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

A lot of Corvette purchasers take delivery of
their car at the plant in Bowling Green KY.
So it's in for some long driving fresh out
of the factory.

Some comment just hitting the road and see
what can do. Other say they take the back
roads through the small towns, for varying
speed and stopping for brakes.

#2 sound better to me.

Take the slow route, enjoy the views.

GoBird has the right idea. The day after I got mine, we drove it to Florida. I varied the speed considerably, holding it to about 55 for the first 200 miles, but then I had it up to over 115 a couple of times. I changed the oil as soon as I got back and now have over 7000 happy trouble free miles on it.

TBird II --

I may have broken the record for miles driven immediately after purchase of my Thunderbird -- about 3,000! Just a few days after I picked up my car, I drove from Louisville, Kentucky through St. Louis and then along Route 66 to L.A. and up the California Coast.

I had actually posed your break-in question to the Thunderbird newsgroup almost a year ago, and a kind respondent had pointed me to an article about this at http://www.driversedge.com/breakin.htm

In summary, those instructions say:

1. For the first 1,000 miles, don't run the car over 3,500 RPM; don't use cruise control; and vary your car's speed as much as possible.

2. For the next 500 miles, slowly start using more of the car's power.

3. For the next 500 miles, drive the car harder than you normally would. (That was kind of fun!)

I followed these instruction religiously and my car drives like a dream!

Thanks for the advice... I've made up my mind; I'm taking the T-Bird to Atlanta!

I'll keep in mind those tips about breaking it in and I can't wait to get started!

------------------
Joe
TBIRD II - My License Plate

Breaking in a new Ford Product? My 02 Black Bird has 85 miles on it and has already been to 120mph. My first Ford product was a 1950 Merc. My first T-Bird was the new four-passenger 1962. My fastest was a 1955 Mercury with power drive. I have never owned a car that I did not know what the top speed was. Fortunately, in this area we have a place to find out how fast they are. So, if you have a Bird, drive it. That's what it was made for. When the weather breaks, I'll let you know how fast mine is.

Originally posted by TBIRD II:
I generally hear very conflicting opinions about the "break in" period. Some say you should vary your speeds, others say you should stay under 65 mph and some say you should drive normally.

I have only about 200 miles on mine and I'm debating a trip from NY to Norcross, GA this monday. I could fly, drive my old Taurus or take the new T-Bird. Some of my friends are trying to talk me out of taking the T-Bird because they think it's not broken in enough.

What you you think?

To me, as long as you don't go on a long extended freeway trip you are fine. Mix in some city driving, some freeway driving, some windy lake roads for the first 1000 miles and you are good to go.

I never open mine up before 1000 or 1500, not that I think it is really bad. Just makes more logical sense to wait for the cylinders to be a little smoother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back