Replacement battery for a 61

P

Philt

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello All,
My recently acquired 61 has a 5 year old battery that does not fit the battery tray and base clamp. Replacement time has arrived but cannot find a 24/24f with the bottom lug so I can use the factory battery clamp.
One solution is to alter the battery tray and replace with a top clamp or a marine plastic tray and strap.
Can anyone suggest a 60"s era battery to fit?

Phil in Nashville

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I don’t know the number, but Interstate Batteries has a battery that is close in size with a lower Ridge that will work. Find a dealer and ask about it. (I’m getting one soon for my ‘64.
I’m presently using a “Farm and Fleet” sized 24 that also has the Ridge for bottom mount.

Thanks, will try them next.

I have a Interstate battery, I when to the tire shop I have used for years.

A certain restoration shop is no longer around, fortunately. The owner left the state and is not in jail, unfortunately. However, years ago this shop worked on my car. Totally unrelated, they told me my battery was going bad so they replaced it -- and believe it or not, they had to search for the correct size and found it -- long and thin, barely fit in the tray. Whatever. I though it odd because that battery was relatively new. Anyway, I began having trouble with the starter -- turned out to be the solenoid. Replaced it, a short time later it needed another one, and another, and another. Turns out, it was a dual problem -- the starter itself was going, but the real problem was that the battery was about half the capacity that's required for the car. I took it to Advance Auto Parts; they measured and played, and found a battery that sorta fit -- but had the juice I needed.

Turns out this shop made some crooked deals. I'm sure another car needed a battery, so he used the one out of my car, charged him for it, found a battery from a junker car for mine, charged ME, and skated.

THIS battery has been in the car for awhile now, and still good, but the day will come when I'll need another one. When that day comes I'll go with an ALM battery. No, it's not correct for a 64, but it could be the last battery I'll need for quite awhile. I have one in my Cadillac and it's great.

Found a NAPA 7527f battery, 710 CCA and it fits the bottom clamp of the battery tray. About $130.00

Back