Repair of E-Brake Boot frame for 2002-2005??

tomstoysy2k

tomstoysy2k

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Do any members know of a fix/repair for the E-Brake Boot frame for 2002-2005?? I have been told Ford had a SB on this but I can't find it or the PN. Can someone please help with any of these, Thank you!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I was recently able to locate a replacement boot. I actually purchased it on e-bay but it was shipped from a Ford dealer in Henderson, NV. Valley Auto Mall 1-800-491-3489. Part # 5W6Z 2A713 AA. Seemed quite costly. Had a list of $243.63. They charged me $182.76.

Scrounged a piece with a hook type plastic clip. I cut it off and plastic welded it on to the frame. It look like it will hold, but I'm not an upoltserator so no staples. If it doesnt my next stop will be a junkyard to see if an 00-02 Lincoln LS will work on an 04 T-Bird. I did find that 03-06 LS have a different park brake.

I just did a repair of my boot as well. Took a simple clip I bought on Amazon (in a big pack) and 5 minutes of work. I bent the clip to 90 degrees, drilled a pilot hole in the plastic where the original broke off and screwed in the clip.

E8FFBAC1-8082-4221-A88F-D7550098FC19.jpegF99E6528-C7FF-4CA7-893C-93F46698353C.jpeg

I used weatherstripping glue to glue it to the consol. No problem yet.

The yellow stuff by 3M. It’s easy to clean up if you need to get in there again. Oh, console has an “e” at the end.

Mark: Thank you very much for taking time to help. I will not be able to use your "fix" because the location on the plastic assembly where you placed the clip and screw is missing on my car so I am considering an alternative.

It is a aluminum Z-Clip which is designed for hanging items such as picture frames on walls. The clip is 35mm X 50mm, or approximately 1 3/8"D X 2"W, 1/8" thick, and its lip is 3/8' across. The z-clip's lip would lock the E-brake's leather and plastic ring (frame) in place. 2 small holes using a 3/32 drill bit on the console would need to be done to secure the z-clip in place. There is plenty of room inside the hallow console for the two 32mm screws without damaging anything. For cosmetic purposes I will then cut a piece of black "Natural Grain Cow Leather" and glue it to the top of the clip so it can blend with the console. Most likely I will spray flat black paint the edges of the Z-clip sides.

I have done a trial run to mimic the z-clip with a piece of cardboard and black fabric, it blends well with the console although it is noticeable because the clip and the leather will wind up being around 3/16" thick. I am going to think carefully about doing this and likely do it next month. I will post photos if I do. My main reason for doing this is to stop having to put the boot back in its place each time the e-brake is used.

Disclaimer: I am providing details of my idea for the benefit of fellow board members, it might not be the best of choices to make. My Tbird looks brand new and would prefer for it to stay as it came from the factory but I am meticulous and confident I can live with it since it covers a small area and visible mainly up close.

George

Attachments

• 61NRrQnshwS._AC_SX466_.jpg
    61NRrQnshwS._AC_SX466_.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 04 Merlot 10 .jpg
    04 Merlot 10 .jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 12
I decided on a simpler solution. An aluminum clip used as part of a lock for cabinets or desk drawers, sanded and painted the clip, the small and larger washers with flat black spray primer/paint. Drilled a hole on the console with a 3/32" drill bit and expanded the hole with a 3/16" drill bit to fit the #6-32 x 3/4 thumb screw.

The tricky part was connecting the wing nut and washer inside the console to the thumb screw. I used a piece of Scotch double sided tape wrapped around the wings of the wing nut so it would stick to my index and middle fingers. Also placed a piece of the double tape on the bottom part of the wing nut to hold the washer. It is hard to hold the wing nut and washer inside the console with limited space specially for anyone with fat fingers

I bought the clip from zoro.com, the thumb screw from Amazon, the washers, wing nuts, and paint from Lowe's. I hope this can help and will answer questions if needed.

george

Attachments

• HPIM2510.JPG
    HPIM2510.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • HPIM2513.JPG
    HPIM2513.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • HPIM2518.JPG
    HPIM2518.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • HPIM2521.JPG
    HPIM2521.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • HPIM2522.JPG
    HPIM2522.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
I decided on a simpler solution. An aluminum clip used as part of a lock for cabinets or desk drawers, sanded and painted the clip, the small and larger washers with flat black spray primer/paint. Drilled a hole on the console with a 3/32" drill bit and expanded the hole with a 3/16" drill bit to fit the #6-32 x 3/4 thumb screw.

The tricky part was connecting the wing nut and washer inside the console to the thumb screw. I used a piece of Scotch double sided tape wrapped around the wings of the wing nut so it would stick to my index and middle fingers. Also placed a piece of the double tape on the bottom part of the wing nut to hold the washer. It is hard to hold the wing nut and washer inside the console with limited space specially for anyone with fat fingers

I bought the clip from zoro.com, the thumb screw from Amazon, the washers, wing nuts, and paint from Lowe's. I hope this can help and will answer questions if needed.

george
That’ll work. Also handy if you need to remove it later.

Am I correct in assuming that the boot can not be slipped over the handle so you can work on the boot outside of the car???
Tried today and either it won't, or I haven't figured out the secret handshake to do it.

Am I correct in assuming that the boot can not be slipped over the handle so you can work on the boot outside of the car???
Tried today and either it won't, or I haven't figured out the secret handshake to do it.
The boot will come off. Slide the whole thing up the handle as far as possible inside out. You will find a zip tie tightly around the very end. Cut it and the boot comes off. Reverse these steps using a new, similar sized zip tie and trim the tail.

The boot will come off. Slide the whole thing up the handle as far as possible inside out. You will find a zip tie tightly around the very end. Cut it and the boot comes off. Reverse these steps using a new, similar sized zip tie and trim the tail.
All of the above looks good but here's another way and some additional repairs.

So I noticed two things. The e brake boot was lifting and there was a lot of creaking from the console as I leaned on it. Removed the entire console and repaired in 6 places. A combination of epoxy, pop rivets and some home made scabs. Clean all surfaces and use G-Flex, pre thickened epoxy. It won't run.

Next the boot. Took it out of the car and studied the situation. There is a plastic surround at the base that the boot is stapled to. The inside long, flat pc was broken and the front cross pc gone. I pop riveted a matching pc of 1/16" thick model makers plywood to join the broken pc. Then I bench mounted the whole thing to see what I had to do to join the two front ends of the plastic and matched the different levels. Made a paper pattern that overlapped the plastic for pop rivets both ends. Traced the pattern on to 22 gage galv. sheet metal and cut it out. Using my hands and needle nose pliers, I fashoned it to fit and pop riveted it in place. Small pop rivets were used as required to replace staples. Upon reinstall I had a nearly perfect fit but the front end of the boot would lift up when the handle was raised. So one more ..edium pop rivet dead centdr and below the mating lip and now it would snap in and stay put.

Pop rivets and sheet metal are handy repair parts. Took no pics as phone was broke. I hope you get the idea.

Back