proper transmission fluid for my 64 tbird

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
thunder2010

thunder2010

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I seem to be low on tranny fluid and want to top it up what should I use, can you use one of the new synthetic ones?

This will probably generate a ton of responses, but an oil engineer told me that the closest fluid to Type A, Suffix A is Dextron. That is what I would use. The derivative I, II, III etc is not significant.

Ford type F was not release until 1967. The MOST correct fluid for your car is Type A Suffix A. That is a difficult spec to find currently. Dextron or Dextron II, II, IV, is the closest formula to the Type A Suffix A. However, anecdotal evidence would indicate that using Type F will do no harm.

Attached is an article on automatic transmission fluid. I hope this will help you decide what kind of transmission fluid you should use in your 1964 Thunderbird.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Tech 101 - Automatic Transmission Fluid.pdf
    216.6 KB · Views: 25
Bought my 64 in 2005 and had engine rebuilt in 2006. Had transmission checked out and was told to use Type F trans fluid. I have used it ever since then and not a problem.

Type A was replaced by Type F and is still readily available from many manufacturers. I have never credible advice that another type of ATF can be used. Auto parts stores normally will have it or can get it and the Walmart store by me stocks multiple brands so you can choose between a house brand and a name brand depending upon your budget.

Back