Power steering fluid - 1964

Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey Folks,

So, why is Type F or A transmission fluid what is recommended for our pumps? I am entertaining converting over to electric and the replacement pump runs a synthetic power steering fluid from the factory, Pentosin - it's CHF202. Would a newer fluid, specifically a synthetic, eat up the windshield wiper portion or steering box? I know ATF in general can be nasty stuff - mix it with acetone and you have one of the best penetrants on the planet lol.

So why the transmission fluid recommendation? Could I perhaps use just regular generic "power steering fluid," in our systems?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hey Folks,

So, why is Type F or A transmission fluid what is recommended for our pumps? I am entertaining converting over to electric and the replacement pump runs a synthetic power steering fluid from the factory, Pentosin - it's CHF202. Would a newer fluid, specifically a synthetic, eat up the windshield wiper portion or steering box? I know ATF in general can be nasty stuff - mix it with acetone and you have one of the best penetrants on the planet lol.

So why the transmission fluid recommendation? Could I perhaps use just regular generic "power steering fluid," in our systems?

Type A and F were what was recommended back then because that was the only thing avaible aside from some other kind of hydraluic fluid. But A and F were good fluids for what those pumps needed. The more modern Mercon and Dexron up thru III are also suitable. Most power steering fluid is the equivalent of ATF but without much or any of the detergents that are in the ATF. The fluid for an electric PS system is a whole different animal. The PS fluids (not A or F) for "modern cars" are based on ATF for modern cars like Mercon V or Dexron ?? and other weird ones... the main objection to using them is they have lower viscosity which means they are more likely to leak in an old car PS system. I don't know if one of the modern ones, particularly the Pentosin, would be a problem with a wiper motor.

Back