Power quarter window problem on my 1963 coupe

19Marilyn63

19Marilyn63

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi... this is my first post so please be patient... I have a problem with my 1963 coupe's rear driver's side quarter window... it is up now but will not go down... I have taken the side panel off and have verified that there is power at the motor. Motor does not spin so I assume that the plastic gear bumpers have not disintegrated. The motor does make a single CLICK sound when I action the window switch either up or down. Is this the sign of a bad motor or a jammed regulator? I would like some sound advice before I start taking any parts out of there. By the way, anyone know of good visual instructions on how to remove a quarter window regulator? Thanks a bunch guys and girls. Marcellin

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi... this is my first post so please be patient... I have a problem with my 1963 coupe's rear driver's side quarter window... it is up now but will not go down... I have taken the side panel off and have verified that there is power at the motor. Motor does not spin so I assume that the plastic gear bumpers have not disintegrated. The motor does make a single CLICK sound when I action the window switch either up or down. Is this the sign of a bad motor or a jammed regulator? I would like some sound advice before I start taking any parts out of there. By the way, anyone know of good visual instructions on how to remove a quarter window regulator? Thanks a bunch guys and girls. Marcellin
You might try loosening the bolts that hold the motor in place. I would imagine the grease has dried out in the transmisson. Take it apart ,clean it out and regressed, should work like new.

Agree with 57tbird57, but on my 62 I had the bushes missing that ran in the tracks allowing the mechanism to move. These are like little plastic wheels with spring clips that the arms push into and then guide the mech. As mine had fell out, the arms came out of where they should run and then jammed. Initially with a bit of assistance I could get the windows to move but eventually they jammed. Its seems to be the doors that the motors rust through more so than the rear quarters.

Will indeed check for jammed tracks, but pretty hard to see in there... I would venture to think that the transmission is jammed somehow.. cleaning this implies removing the regulator and motor assembly after having disconnected the window tracks... does anyone know of clear instructions on how to do this... shop manual is almost useless.. .i have read that there is a strong spring in that assembly that helps the motor raise the heavy window... i dont want to dislodge that spring... i need help... thanks.

Hi, best to remove the rear lower seat and side quarter interior trim panel and you'll have access to see and even unbolt the assembley.

Back