Polishing 1957 tail light reflectors

Ward 57

Ward 57

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Any ideas on polishing the tail light reflectors? When I replaced a tail light I noticed the reflector was dull. I have no idea on what the original finish was. They are bright enough to see but would like them brighter. What can I do to brighten them up? I painted my license plate reflector bright white when I re-bulbed it as it was white to begin with.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You could pain the inside silver or while. Originally I believe they were goldish cadmium.

You could pain the inside silver or while. Originally I believe they were goldish cadmium.
Interesting, Well that would help resisting tarnish & rust. I've never known cadmium as being fairly reflective. I remember back when I had a model 'A' I used Silver/Nickle polish on the reflectors I think they were Nickle plated. I never could find a silver paint that was really reflective.

Last edited:
I used very fine steel wool and chrome polish on mine and they cleaned up pretty well. But if they ar too far gone maybe some “bumper chrome” spray paint might work or maybe one could use aluminum foil? Just a thought.

Bumper chrome spray paint? Never heard of it. but sounds like a good idea. I'm fine with using very fine steel wool and polish or mineral oil. Aluminum foil would work but I don't want somebody later opening it up and thinking 'clever but not right'. But a good back-up as the reflector doesn't need to be as precise as something like a headlight. It's removable & replaceable as I tinker. may consider it with the front parking lights too. I'd like the lights as bright as possible even in daytime. I want to show that 'everything works, including the clock' keeping it as original as possible, if I ever want to show it at a local gathering.

I used very fine steel wool and chrome polish on mine and they cleaned up pretty well. But if they ar too far gone maybe some “bumper chrome” spray paint might work or maybe one could use aluminum foil? Just a thought.
Since I own a 1955 Thunderbird the chrome tail lamp housing is available from CASCO. Hills sells used original gold cadmium 1957 housings.

The attached article is from the Shop Tips section of CASCO's November 2002 "ThunderEnlightening" newsletter.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

BRIGHTEN UP THOSE TAIL LIGHTS Over the years we have seen tail lamp reflectors that had paint or heavy overspray inside the taillight housing. This should be removed with steel wool, but a lot of owners don't do it. The result is dull tail lights. These reflectors can be painted with chrome paint but better yet is a trick we learned from the Classic GMC Motor Home folks. Remove the lens and line the reflector surface with mirror finish aluminum foil or chrome tape. This product is sold in virtually all automotive stores and comes in a roll about 2" wide with adhesive on the back. Don’t worry about wrinkles. The wrinkled surface seems to make it even better. After hearing of this tip, T-Birder Dave Tulowitzky reported: "Believe me it does work well. I did one and then put the lens back on. I could definitely tell a difference (maybe 50%). Now I have both of them finished and will compare them with other T-Birds Saturday when we have our club outing. I did the parking lights also, and it helped them. I think this tip is the next best thing to the mechanical brake light switch.

Attachments

• BRIGHTEN UP THOSE TAIL LIGHTS.pdf
    132.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
Since I own a 1955 Thunderbird the chrome tail lamp housing is available from CASCO. Hills sells used original gold cadmium 1957 housings.

The attached article is from the Shop Tips section of CASCO's November 2002 "ThunderEnlightening" newsletter.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Thanks Doug, Once we get out of this deep freeze and things are malleable again, I think I'll go with the foil route.

Parking lights, we still use the term but does anybody use them that way like mooring lights on a boat? I remember some of the early European cars came with small, low draw parking lights on the outside of the fenders. I don't know if it was mandated but I guess it made sense on the narrow city streets so common in old European cities so drivers could judge how wide your car was at night.

Back