Opinions on Coker wide white sidewall tires 1955

yaddacubed
Last seen
Having just acquired my grandfather's '55, and not wanting to drive on the current 25 year old + Michelins, am wondering about the Coker wide white sidewalls as replacement. How do they look, and is it worth the premium, from an authenticity standpoint? Are they radials, or bias ply, and what should be on the vehicle? Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Congrats on your new acquisition.
I have aprox 2000 miles on a set of Coker Classics (wide whites) on my 57 Bird and am very pleased with the look and the vast improvements in handling over the bias plys that were on the car previously.
just my opinion:)
Good luck
Roger

Updated your title from 1955 tires to Opinions on Coker wide white sidewall tires 1955

Having just acquired my grandfather's '55, and not wanting to drive on the current 25 year old + Michelins, am wondering about the Coker wide white sidewalls as replacement. How do they look, and is it worth the premium, from an authenticity standpoint? Are they radials, or bias ply, and what should be on the vehicle? Thanks!
Coker tires are radials with a look of a bias ply tire. They seem to have improved over the years. I do not use them because driving a1000 to 2000 miles per year and having to replace tires every 5 years due to the current chemistry used in making tires, it just doesn't pencil out for me.

Wide white wall is a matter of personal taste. In my opinion radials are a must have for safty reasons. The ride and handling are superior to the old bias ply tires. I was ready to sell my 57 due to the handling but I switched to radials and wished I had done years before. I currently have www radials from Diamondback.

I have installed Diamondback wide whitewalls on 2 of my classics (a '57 T-bird and a '54 Olds). These tires are radials, but styled like the original tires. I agree with the other posts which stated vast improvements in handling. BTW, you're wise to replace 25-year-old tires (even Michelins) - they might look OK, but they aren't safe.

Tires are good for at least 10 years. The problem is the corrosion of the steal belts. So keeping the car out of a harsh environment will also help. Only problem is you can’t see the problem until it’s too late.

Have a set on my 1937 Ford pickup 3 years now. Had to send 2 tires back could no balance, white walls are bubbling on 3 of them m next set will be michilens from diamondback tire .friend has a set on his 33 Ford Tudor loves them. Pender.

Tires are good for at least 10 years. The problem is the corrosion of the steal belts. So keeping the car out of a harsh environment will also help. Only problem is you can’t see the problem until it’s too late.
From my research the rubber starts to break down leading to tread separation and blowouts. 10 years is too long. 6 to 8 years is about as long as they should be use. How do the steel belts corrode if they are encased in rubber?

From my research the rubber starts to break down leading to tread separation and blowouts. 10 years is too long. 6 to 8 years is about as long as they should be use. How do the steel belts corrode if they are encased in rubber?
There in lies the mystery, the steel belts are the structure of the tire. All of the outer rubber could come off and the tire would still be intact provided the steel belts and inner construction of the tire are not compromised.
With regards to rubber breaking down, that would depend on the environment the car is kept in, it is also something that can be seen with the naked eye.

Last edited:
If you are going to show the car go with bias ply. While the bias ply look great, the general consensus everywhere is they are used for showing only or teetering around the streets occasionally. Everyone is on radials that 'drives' their cars. I had coker classic radial whitewalls on my 1964 Australian Falcon hardtop for 10 years + and have new coker classics on my 62 T Bird. The ones on the falcon still look fantastic. It is a second car, almost daily driver. They are a great tyre, never had any issues, with the white walls easy to clean with elbow grease. Cokers look premium and look great. Premium price, but worth the money.You pay peanuts , you get monkeys. BTW they are wide walls, not period correct for either car, but sympathetic to the look. 62 (Large).jpg20190112_183033 (Large).jpg

Attachments

• 20190426_163035 (Large).jpg
    20190426_163035 (Large).jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Newbie here!! for 55 what is the correct backspacing and radial g tire size?? Want wide whites, are the BF Goodrich 215's available from Coker good??

i have 5 wheels, 3 different styles, have not measured yet.

Thnx all

Shelly in VA

Not sure about Coker yet! I bought 4 205/75/14 for my 57 bird and they now rub the skirts. Called Coker waiting for and answer now.

I put porta-wall aftermarket wide whites on my standard tires. $45 on sale and $75 to install them. They look great at less than 1/4 the price of a single Coker, Goodyear or Diamond back. They have been around since the 50s. Very happy. Sometimes they wrinkle but settle back down flat. I only have about 20 miles on them due to Ignition gremlins but solving those, just waiting for my new ign resistor.

Bias tires were 1955 OEM.

Back