Opinion On Possible 1964 Purchase

If the doors still close correctly you should be in decent shape. All that can be repaired but the question is, for what cost?

I would get an estimate or two and then make your decision. The rest of the car doesn't look hateful...

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello everyone, I am new here and I have found a 1964 Ford on craigslist that I want. Before I buy I want to talk to some pros about if it's worth it and what to look out for or be ready for. I will post some pictures below and let me know what yall think, please!
It is listed on craigslist for 1200. I know it will a fixer-upper. Let me know if yall see anything serious that will cause a problem or need replacing.
You got good advice. My suggestion is to keep looking. I just finished a 1963 convertible which was complete and rust free. I also got a free parts car also '63 and convertible. I always wanted a bullet bird and did a complete restoration. I have more in the car than I can probably sell it for but it fulfilled a teenage dream.

Take a look at Jamieson's Repair Shop for reviewing how to prepare replacement panels on your TBird
(
) before making a decision.

(* Sigh! *) One of the first checks one should do on any classic convertible is to run the front wheels up on ramps with the top down, then stand in the back seat floorboard and rock up and down a bit and look at the door gaps at the top on each side, if they change significantly you have major issues; if the doors will no longer open and close in this position its DEFINITELY major rust and frame damage.

Having siad that this car is not a candidate for an amateur restoration, its not particularly valuable, without repro frame parts then its not just a welding job, its a fabrication and welding job. Personally I would walk away and get that motor back before spending money on it. Even at $1700 base cost the repairs will far exceed what the restored car will EVER be worth.

Thanks everyone for the input. I’ve been out of a shop for years but want to tackle this. I have the tools to remove rot, fabricate and weld. Door alignment is good they open and close nice even after removing the inner rocker. This will just be a driver with no intent to take it higher. Will have the motor completely rebuilt and the rest my time. 3 feet of the rocker will be replaced and spliced into the solid remaining portion. Additional support will be added to the remaining rocker and into the splice. I other frame issues found thankfully.

Attachments

• C2A85AEA-8720-47AF-AD0F-7E896F380A94.jpeg
    C2A85AEA-8720-47AF-AD0F-7E896F380A94.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • 00F8AE15-EFEA-443D-B604-9CCCE73197E3.jpeg
    00F8AE15-EFEA-443D-B604-9CCCE73197E3.jpeg
    978 KB · Views: 1
Well sounds like you're going in with full knowledge of the stuation - so well wishes on the journey.

Best of luck! I wish you had started this about 6 months ago. I got rid of my 62 part car. There wasn't any real rust in it.

Back