Opinion On Possible 1964 Purchase

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello everyone, I am new here and I have found a 1964 Ford on craigslist that I want. Before I buy I want to talk to some pros about if it's worth it and what to look out for or be ready for. I will post some pictures below and let me know what yall think, please!
It is listed on craigslist for 1200. I know it will a fixer-upper. Let me know if yall see anything serious that will cause a problem or need replacing.

Attachments

• FORD BIRF.jpg
    FORD BIRF.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 4
  • FORD BIRD 2.jpg
    FORD BIRD 2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 4
  • FORD BIRD 3.jpg
    FORD BIRD 3.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 4
  • FORD BIRD 4.jpg
    FORD BIRD 4.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 4
  • FORD BIRD 5.jpg
    FORD BIRD 5.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 4
  • FORD BIRD 6.jpg
    FORD BIRD 6.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 4

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Safe to assume it doesn't start? You can't really get good feedback with a few photos on the internet.
With that said, when I look at that, all I see is a big money pit and pile of problems.

My experience has trained me to pay a bit more in the beginning. Let someone else empty their checkbook or at least start with something the runs and drives. That looks like $20k of your money to get a $10k car ( depending on what work you plan on doing yourself.

I agree with the other replies. Sometimes it's hard to walk away from something you have your heart set on, however I think in the long run you would be better off with a bird that is in better condition. My advice is keep looking, there are some pretty nice birds out there that are good values.

Some cars that you could get for free are overpriced... esp if your plan is to drive AND ENJOY them again rather than part them out.

I've brought worse for more money! Here in the UK you'd pay more for that car and shipping the parts over it would cost a fortune to rebuild but, it depends on what you are going for. As long as you are not wanting to keep original, the basics are there for 1200 and it will keep you out of the pub for a couple of years!

looks like a great parts car to me if you already have one in better shape

I have restored first gen Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelles, and vintage Corvettes of the earliest generations.
If you want to make a small fortune on this car, start with a large fortune...

Well for the most part I agree with all of the above. However, I have owned and worked on worse. First question, what is your true skill level dealing with old cars? What do you want to do with it, and how high are your expectations? Lastly what is your budget for repairs?

I would add to the above questions, "Is there something special about this particular car that justifies the work and expense of restoration ?"

Look - unless this car is really something speical with unique provenance, or a family heirloom with sentimental value its a black hole for your money. Here is the Hagerty price guide for 2021 values of 64 Thunderbirds (you can verify it yourself). The paint job prepr and shoot, chrome work, etc could well cost 1/2 of the top value of a #1 car. As I said earlier I've been around classic cars for decades, may owners buy a project car, work on it enthusiastically for 3 months, then have a "come to Jesus" moment about the cost, time and skill required and next thing you know; its back on eBay or "Bring-A-Trailer" for some other soul to deal with.
Capture.JPG

I LOVE classic cars of any ilk but I always tell potential buyers to purchase the most car they can for their money.....meaning the heavy restoration work has mostly been done. The ROI is about 100%, meaning you will only pay 1/2 the cost of the hard work someone else did - a bargain. Attached are two low mileage examples and one is a landau.
Also attached are two cars I've restored just so you know that I'm not just blathering away.
capture1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello. I am not an able-to -fix-cars-up kind of guy, I have a mechanic for the big stuff, but I agree 100% with everyone here telling you to walk away. Having just bought a beautiful 1964, in fantastic condition, at less than the prices the other member showed you on Hagerty, I would keep looking. They are out there, believe me. This looks like you would be spending at least 2x the cost of a really great, running 1964 to fix this, what appears to me, rusted out pile of parts.

So I am not completely negative on this, does it turn over? Is it reasonably close by? If so buy a set of points and condenser and 3 feet of fuel line. Install points and put the fuel line on the suction side of the fuel pump. Run the out to the front of the car into a 1 gallon can. Add hot battery and start it. Let it run for at least 15 minutes before making a judgement on condition. (Unless it's knocking). You may have to manually operate the choke to keep it running.

If the car urns for $1,200 ( and maybe negotiate the price lower)
and the buyer just wants to fix the mechanical stuff and a bit of the cosmetics and drive it as a survivor I guess it could work out.

It's still a running major product....the car has been neglected and I would bet various systems will start failing in short order and need reparied. Brakes will need a complete overhaul and decades old electrical wiring will undoubtedly cause problems - that's my experience.

Last edited:
This would probably be a parts car only for body panels, trim, etc. If you can find a restoration shop nearby where you live, talk with them. A/C repair can easily be $5,000. paint about $10,000.00 if there is no serious rust. Upholstery will be at least $4,000.00 and you haven't even started on the engine
rebuild, and probable transmission, nor suspension components, nor brakes. A cheap restoration would be about $50,000.00! Even a great looking
classic car will have its problems, electrical, fuel, etc. that will require expensive maintenance. If you live in a small town or city, you will have a hard time
finding mechanic's that will work on such a project as this. If knowledgeable, and you have the skills, you can do most of the labor yourself and save some money. Having owned seven T-Birds (I'm on my last one), I would recommend that you pass on this one.

This would probably be a parts car only for body panels, trim, etc. If you can find a restoration shop nearby where you live, talk with them. A/C repair can easily be $5,000. paint about $10,000.00 if there is no serious rust. Upholstery will be at least $4,000.00 and you haven't even started on the engine
rebuild, and probable transmission, nor suspension components, nor brakes. A cheap restoration would be about $50,000.00! Even a great looking
classic car will have its problems, electrical, fuel, etc. that will require expensive maintenance. If you live in a small town or city, you will have a hard time
finding mechanic's that will work on such a project as this. If knowledgeable, and you have the skills, you can do most of the labor yourself and save some money. Having owned seven T-Birds (I'm on my last one), I would recommend that you pass on this one.
Not to brag but I bought a Gem For 13,500...have put 3200 into it so far for leaks, pumps, and wiring. Car is a beautiful relresentarive of a 1964 now two-owner car. They are out there. Have some patience If you follow through on your impulse, please keep us updated here...I might learn something! But...MAKE SURE YOU POST IN THE TITLE CORRECTLY!!!! Good luck!

Not to brag but I bought a Gem For 13,500...have put 3200 into it so far for leaks, pumps, and wiring. Car is a beautiful relresentarive of a 1964 now two-owner car. They are out there. Have some patience If you follow through on your impulse, please keep us updated here...I might learn something! But...MAKE SURE YOU POST IN THE TITLE CORRECTLY!!!! Good luck!
Basically wha I've said in my posts above; always buy the best car you can possibly afford..
As to finding old school mechanics in a small town., its tough even in a big town...
Here in Orlando there are only about 3 people I would recommend working on a classic car (Corvettes in my case) and they stay slammed.
I do most of my own work but I'm slowing down at 70 years old with bad eyesight and its getting toughter and tougher..

Hello everyone-

I need some advice. After removing the motor and dropping it off at the shop I have pulled the rug and found complete swiss cheese, or as you can see nothing at all. Th outer rockers were surprisingly intact, but the "inner rocker" disintegrated. Being a convertible, this is a major concern. I paid $1700 for the car so I am not that deep.

Unfortunately, this part is not reproduced.

I am considering walking away and would like some advice.
IMG_0022.jpgIMG_0021.jpgIMG_0023.jpgIMG_0016 (1).jpgIMG_0018.jpgIMG_0016.jpgIMG_0020.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a lot of work . But if you want to sell some parts I would buy the hubcaps and the panel that attaches to the top between the seat and the trunk and possible a few other parts

Back