New wheels/ tires 61 thunderbird

Z28johnny
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm all for keeping my car original, but I just had to put on new wheels. I tried to measure backspacing and everything to still use the skirts. After I got the new wheels on I found that the skirts might still fit if I trim a little.

These are 18"x8" wheels. 225/50/18 tires. Without skirts there is no rubbing anywhere and all fit great! They are black with a machined lip. The lip actually looks like a white wall stripe sometimes.

I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but I like it.
20200707_143404.jpg20200707_153557.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm all for keeping my car original, but I just had to put on new wheels. I tried to measure backspacing and everything to still use the skirts. After I got the new wheels on I found that the skirts might still fit if I trim a little.

These are 18"x8" wheels. 225/50/18 tires. Without skirts there is no rubbing anywhere and all fit great! They are black with a machined lip. The lip actually looks like a white wall stripe sometimes.

I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but I like it.
View attachment 12853View attachment 12854
I think it looks great.

Looks great! There is enough skirt out there to chase without having them on your car too:)

I really like the look of the machined lip wheels. Yours's are no exception. I just put 17 inch Ridlers on my 64. I had to remove about 3/16" of the lip on the skirts to eliminate a small tire rub when turning corners. Just removed a little of the lip where the tires had close clearance.
I can tell by your picture that you are in Utah. I live in Indianola just north of Fairview.
Take care
Ed

Back