new tires, spoke rim wheel leaking air fast.

B

blue62tbird

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
1962 had spoke rims on it, made in 1989. Had new tires put in it. When took old ones off they had inner tubes in tires that were maybe from 1990s.
Do I need to put the tubes back in the tires? I saw the rims there was on opoxy on all of them inside at the point were the spokes were made into the rim. The tire to rim seal point was clean, I wonder if the opoxy area is not allowing them to hold air. I have one only hours after install one half flat another that I checked down on air pressure already also.
I guess the tire seal must be sitting onthe opoxy area and I need to use the inner tubes???

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

1962 had spoke rims on it, made in 1989. Had new tires put in it. When took old ones off they had inner tubes in tires that were maybe from 1990s.
Do I need to put the tubes back in the tires? I saw the rims there was on opoxy on all of them inside at the point were the spokes were made into the rim. The tire to rim seal point was clean, I wonder if the opoxy area is not allowing them to hold air. I have one only hours after install one half flat another that I checked down on air pressure already also.
I guess the tire seal must be sitting onthe opoxy area and I need to use the inner tubes???
Yes you do have to use inner tubes with the spoke wire wheels

There were indeed some wire wheels made that were tubeless. I had a set. Yes, they had what looked like bondo smoothed over the spokes. Quire often these "tubeless" versions would spring a leak, and of course the obvious solution is to put a tube inside.

There is one alternative. Go to your local hardware store and buy some waterproof paint. Paint the entire inside of the wheel with it. Good chance that it will catch your leak and fix it. BUT -- it's probably safer to use the tube.

Now there's another caveat. If you have a tube installed, BE SURE TO REMOVE EVERY LABEL INSIDE THE TIRE!!!! If you don't, each label will act like a razor blade on that tube, and you'll have another flat tire before you can say -- whatever four-letter words you're about to use when you realize you have another flat. There is also such a thing as a sleeve that keeps the tube from rubbing the inside of the spokes -- but if you've got the smoothed-out bondo, I'm not so sure you need the sleeves.

Don't forget -- remove those labels! Most tire stores today have never had experience with tubes, and chances are they'll leave those labels in place unless you order them to get them outta there.

darn. I have a car with new tires that will be flat on the rims by morning. I did not research this one. The prev tires were old and dry rotted but holding air for a long time based on the age of the tires. The car had been sitting for a time.
The old tubes they pulled out have nothing in the vavle stem. Front what I have seen it looks like there should be a adapter or something that the valve stem goes through, a spacer ot the like throw the rim stem opening?

I have several antique cars with wire wheels. When it comes time to replace the tires (which is soon for one of the cars), I will follow the advice of my friends with antique cars and wire wheels-rim liners, radial tubes (they are thicker than regular tubes), and radial tires. Air valves can be gotten at any auto store. Get the small tool with the castled end which will allow you to turn them into the stem. Buy a few more than you need of the valves. I have only seen air valves for American stems in a single size.

Man. is all the trouble as I see it worth it? What is the rim size on these cars? Maybe less stress on me to just have normal rims with some decent wire hubcaps,

I have four Model A's spanning 1929-1931. They all have spoked wheels which are original to the car as Henry made it. I intend to put radials on the 1930's and 1931 which have a tire size of 19 inches. When Coker, Lucas or someone starts to make radial tires for the 21 inch tires which are on my 1929, I will do the same. Why am I using radials when they cost so much and are not original-SAFETY. And, I have many Model A friends who have radials and say their car handling, especially on roads with a center crown, performs so much better. Worth is a value judgment and will differ with each individual's calculation. BTW check that your spokes are straight and tight. Don't put any tire on a spoked wheel with loose or bent spokes. You will not get true "run-out."

FWIW I have WSW radials on my 1957 Thunderbird with regular wheels. I drive it at highway speed and feel comfortable. You might want to consider regular wheels with radials. I'm not certain I would consider spoked wheels on a car with Thunderbird speed.

I have four Model A's spanning 1929-1931. They all have spoked wheels which are original to the car as Henry made it. I intend to put radials on the 1930's and 1931 which have a tire size of 19 inches. When Coker, Lucas or someone starts to make radial tires for the 21 inch tires which are on my 1929, I will do the same. Why am I using radials when they cost so much and are not original-SAFETY. And, I have many Model A friends who have radials and say their car handling, especially on roads with a center crown, performs so much better. Worth is a value judgment and will differ with each individual's calculation. BTW check that your spokes are straight and tight. Don't put any tire on a spoked wheel with loose or bent spokes. You will not get true "run-out."

FWIW I have WSW radials on my 1957 Thunderbird with regular wheels. I drive it at highway speed and feel comfortable. You might want to consider regular wheels with radials. I'm not certain I would consider spoked wheels on a car with Thunderbird speed.
I have no issues with my radial tires and spoke wheels on my 57 Thunderbird

I would think a 15 in rim from a 65/66 tbird would fit my 205/75/15 tires I have on the spoker rims I want to take off the car. I jsut want plain old steel wheels that I hear 65/66 would fit.

I would like to purchase wide whitewalls for my 57 in a radial. Can you guys tell me what radial would replace the stock 14" tires I currently have? Mike

Back