New Paint - 2002 Thunderbird Blue

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
medurham

medurham

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
All
My 2002 just came back from the local Maaco shop with a wonderful repaint. Local classic car guys put me on to this painter and he has certainly done
a great job on my T-Bird.

My wife and I went around the car and marked all of the defects we wanted cleared up, rub damage on front bumper, missing clear coat
on the right front fender, adjust doors so the lines flow down the body, investigate a funky flaw in the top of the trunk deck, and
about 50 rock chips and edge nicks, etc., all over the place.

When we arrived at the shop the guy came out with his own marker and we went over the car again at the shop.

4 days later, body work done plus color matched urethane paint with 3 clear coats
and the Bird looks perfect. Reflections in the paint run true and clear due to the smooth finish
and not one rock chip or previous flaw remains.

I was thinking I might do a buff out in the spring but it is good as is. $2550 out the door.

Mark
Post Falls, Idaho

Attachments

• T-Bird 1.jpg
    T-Bird 1.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 4
  • T-Bird 2.jpg
    T-Bird 2.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 4
  • T-Bird 3.jpg
    T-Bird 3.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 4
  • T-Bird 4.jpg
    T-Bird 4.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 4
  • T-Bird 5.jpg
    T-Bird 5.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 4
  • T-Bird 6.jpg
    T-Bird 6.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 4
I would clay it and do a nice ceramic coat now.

All
My 2002 just came back from the local Maaco shop with a wonderful repaint. Local classic car guys put me on to this painter and he has certainly done
a great job on my T-Bird.

My wife and I went around the car and marked all of the defects we wanted cleared up, rub damage on front bumper, missing clear coat
on the right front fender, adjust doors so the lines flow down the body, investigate a funky flaw in the top of the trunk deck, and
about 50 rock chips and edge nicks, etc., all over the place.

When we arrived at the shop the guy came out with his own marker and we went over the car again at the shop.

4 days later, body work done plus color matched urethane paint with 3 clear coats
and the Bird looks perfect. Reflections in the paint run true and clear due to the smooth finish
and not one rock chip or previous flaw remains.

I was thinking I might do a buff out in the spring but it is good as is. $2550 out the door.

Mark
Post Falls, Idaho
It looks like you got a great deal on the paint job. Good luck and have fun.

Your painter should have already done a "cut and buff" on the final finish...so I wouldn't do ANYthing to that paint for 3-4 months...your painter may have told you that; if not; ask.

A "scuff and shoot" repaint of a modern car, that doesn't require bodywork, can be done pretty reasonably....

Good for you, Mark. I agree with Frank about leaving it alone.

Good for you, Mark. I agree with Frank about leaving it alone.
Thanks, yes, we’ve done several detailed looks and other than a few dust spots that should come out when I clay the car next year it’s great as is. Mark

I would clay it and do a nice ceramic coat now.
The painter said the urethane paint will gas off and finish hardening over the next two to three weeks so it needs to be left alone at least that long. Am looking into various coatings to keep it looking like new. Mark

Back