Need Carb advice 1981

L
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1981 Thunderbird with the original 6-cylinder motor with a one-barrel Motorcraft Carburetor. The car has been running horrible and we've had it at the shop checking fuel lines, etc. The mechanic says the solenoid on the carburetor is bad. I had the carburetor rebuilt and we took it back to the shop that did it and he said the solenoid is not part of his rebuild but he also agreed that it is bad. The problem I have encountered is that the solenoid is no longer made. I was told that my best plan of action would be to get a replacement carburetor for the car. Does anyone have a recommendation of what carburetor to put on this motor. I plan on keeping the straight six in this car for now because when it does run, it runs well. I would rather invest in fixing up other things in the car first and consider a motor swap down the road. But for now, I need advice on what carburetor to put in this car.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My mechanic tells me the problem is with the Evap Vent Solenoid. It is a part no longer made for the one barrel Motorcraft carburetor on this car. Anyone have a suggestion?

Yeah it's old enough to be de-smoged without being the Shanghaied. Do it youyou'll see an improvement.

I have a 1981 Thunderbird with the original 6-cylinder motor with a one-barrel Motorcraft Carburetor. The car has been running horrible and we've had it at the shop checking fuel lines, etc. The mechanic says the solenoid on the carburetor is bad. I had the carburetor rebuilt and we took it back to the shop that did it and he said the solenoid is not part of his rebuild but he also agreed that it is bad. The problem I have encountered is that the solenoid is no longer made. I was told that my best plan of action would be to get a replacement carburetor for the car. Does anyone have a recommendation of what carburetor to put on this motor. I plan on keeping the straight six in this car for now because when it does run, it runs well. I would rather invest in fixing up other things in the car first and consider a motor swap down the road. But for now, I need advice on what carburetor to put in this car.
Check on EBAY or just google it. Just put the same carb back on for now. Try Rockauto.com. GOOD LUCK

Back