My 56 T-Bird Ignition Switch lock up?

KennethStewart

KennethStewart

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Yesterday I put the key in the Ignition and started the Thunderbird and the car started. But when I tried to turn it off the key would not turn off? It took several minutes before the engine stoped. The switch is all mess up.Cannot get the key out of the ignition. Now how do I the ignitionit apart? I ordered a new switch from Hills. Any of you ever had this problem?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I just replaced my ignition switch (it was the original switch) because it was causing several problems. Here are the problems mine caused at least the ones I can think about. Turning the key and nothing happened. After starting the car, the key would not completely return to the run position so my lights, gauges etc would not work. The switch would stick in start position etc. Removing it is fairly simple but make sure you disconnect the battery as you're doing it. Keep the key cylinder to install in your new unit. When you first turn the key in the new switch, you'll think there's something wrong with it as it'll feel very different than the old one. I took the old one apart and it was very easy to see why it was causing problems. All the internal parts were worn down so much I'm amazed I could start the car! Not an expensive part and worth every penny.

I worked on the Ign on my 55 (hope its like your 56) To remove the assembly 1. disconnect the battery. 2. remove the key from the switch. 3. reach under the dash and push the switch forward while turning the slotted nut a quarter turn counter clockwise. I used a penny as a tool to fit in the notches to turn the retainer. Now the switch assy should come out the back.
Hope this helps

I worked on the Ign on my 55 (hope its like your 56) To remove the assembly 1. disconnect the battery. 2. remove the key from the switch. 3. reach under the dash and push the switch forward while turning the slotted nut a quarter turn counter clockwise. I used a penny as a tool to fit in the notches to turn the retainer. Now the switch assy should come out the back.
Hope this helps
I cannot get the key out of switch, It locked in.

Perhaps aerosol graphite lube would help free it up temporarily ?

Yesterday I put the key in the Ignition and started the Thunderbird and the car started. But when I tried to turn it off the key would not turn off? It took several minutes before the engine stoped. The switch is all mess up.Cannot get the key out of the ignition. Now how do I the ignitionit apart? I ordered a new switch from Hills. Any of you ever had this problem?
Before you can take the ignition switch apart, you have to remove the key from the switch so you can remove it from the dash. You said that you ordered a new ignition switch from Hills, but did you also order a new lock cylinder for the switch?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back