Luggage Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have gotten lucky with the Draw-tite hitch, but I still would like my cargo on the car.
Does any one know if an aftermarket luggage rack is in the works for the 2002 Birds?

The trunk lid is the only place for one and I would use it on Thunder on 66 and when going out of State.

It would most likely need to be drilled into the lid and would detract more than the hitch.

I would be willing to put it on another trunk lid for the long drives.

------------------
'56 Fiesta Red Bird
'02 Neiman Marcus Bird
Can't find a better way to Fly!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have started to research the cost of purchasing a replacemnet trunk deck lid and getting a spoiler type luggage carrier to mount and then paint it.

The deck lid is $575.85
luggage kit about $100
Thunderbird Emblem$28
Painting 2-stage any '02 color about $150-200

As of today doing this will cost about $900 and I am going to do it. I was wondering if anyone else has considered this over a trailer option?

If I could do more than one it could possibly lower the cost.

The original deck lid is secured by four bolts and could be removed for traveling. The trailer hitch is about $300 with wire harness installed and you still need a trailer, either purchase or rent and park and insure etc.

What does the board think? Sometimes packing lite is no option.

------------------
'56 Fiesta Red Bird
'02 Neiman Marcus Bird
Can't find a better way to Fly!

-

The original Mustangs had a rear deck luggage rack that had the option of rubber pads on the "Feet" and straps that went to the edge of the deck lid to hold it in place.

Easy to install and remove, but may be limited in carrying capacity.

Might consider that approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back