lubricate front suspension 1962

johnpaul
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I haven't looked yet, but before I raise the car, does anyone know if there are grease fittings for the front end joints?

Hi there John Paul. I've heard that the '63 front suspension is same as my '64 but not sure about the '62. Anyway, what you may find is the following:

Upper and lower ball joints with zerk fittings.

Upper and lower control arms have bushings. On my car, there are no zerk fittings however some folks will install them when replacing the bushings.

Stabilizer struts have bushings, no zerk fittings.

Steering links have zerk fittings so you can lube those.

Sway bar has bushings but no zerk fittings.

Shocks have bushings where they connect with the lower control arms and into the shock towers

The bushings on my car seem to be pretty much shot, just showing their age I think since the car does not have that many miles on it. On my multi year plan to have these replaced when I can get around to it. Meanwhile, the car tracks OK, it's just noisy.

Doug

Thanks, very comprehensive answer. I looked yesterday and there are upper and lower ball joint grease fittings, however the bushings are almost disintegrated, so I think it's time to replace.

You're welcome. I'm keeping an eye out for a shop to do my suspension work. It's a bit dangerous and beyond what I want to spend my time on. Getting hard though to find shops near where I live that do this kind of work on these old cars.

Hi, I've just done a rebuild on my 62 front suspension. There are 6 grease points on the steering track rods and link bar, the upper and lower ball joints and then 2 points on the spring saddle on both sides. There is also a grease point on the upper control arm but mine one had one on one end. I brought the whole kit - such a complex setup on these!!
Andy

I was tkinking of attempting it but the down time for driving it will be half the warm season here in the northeast. Think I'm going to have it done.

Don't blame you - if you can use the car do! Sometimes a minor bit of work turns into a major rebuild and the car never gets to see the light of day for years!!

Back