Looking for a 62-66 and have questions

F
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
I live in Louisiana and thinking of buying a 62-66 Tbird and have a couple questions. I'm visiting in Phoenix for a couple more weeks and thought I'd look around here for a rust free one. I'm looking for a nice driver for nice days, not necessarily a show car but certainly not a project.
First other than the 65-66 having disc brakes what are the differences between the earlier models? Any major differences in driving, comfort, etc?
What is the cost and difficulty of converting a 62-64 to disc brakes?
Any other tips?
Thanks

63 Landau, Jamestown TN, just nice driver, original as far as can tell. Solid car.
Parts for converting my to disk 61 were ~$2000.

Attachments

• 20180413_172902.jpg
    20180413_172902.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180413_172837.jpg
    20180413_172837.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180723_121348.jpg
    20180723_121348.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
It comes down to taste, really. For those of us with Bullet Birds we love the space age tail-end and the sleek, rounded front. Real 60's "space age" kind of look. The '64 and later have a more angular front, and in later models the very cool sequential taillights (which can be a bear to fix, I have first-hand experience). In my view these are more "bird-like". It's all a matter of taste.
THAT SAID - I converted mine to disc fronts for far less than $2000. Bought a kit that fit on my existing spindles for $365 from Scarebird:
Note the years covered; earlier '61-'62 get a different kit. Check the site if you get one of them.
From that point on it's easy. The kit uses some very common pads, calipers, and rotors that you can get anywhere. If you message me I can send you a PDF of the kit instruction sheets listing all the parts. Nice thing is that the kit is designed to work with your existing single chamber master cylinder/booster with a balancing valve. In my case I replaced them with a dual chamber set set up for disc/drum, but only because of the look - under my hood it's all blue & chrome and the MC/booster were brand-new and chromed really nicely so I did it all together.

63 Landau, Jamestown TN, just nice driver, original as far as can tell. Solid car.
Parts for converting my to disk 61 were ~$2000.
Mine looks like yours, Dlluinstra. They could be twins, both 63's, but I have the common '63 two-toned interior (Med blue/turquiose).

Looked at a '64 Tbird yesterday. Very nice condition cosmetically, good paint job, no rust, engine and transmission rebuilt recently and very clean. Few things not working: speedometer was reading fast, tires are new but 10 years old, fuel pump leaking, horn doesn't work, door locks sluggish, 1 rear window not working, fender skirts, heater box removed, and air conditioner wasn't working.

Owner said he would replace the fuel pump, fix window, and charge A/C.

My biggest concern is the A/C, living in hot and humid Louisiana I need A/C. Owner said he would charge it but said he puts R134 in it instead of R12. How big of a problem is this?

I’m thinking of buying it. The other stuff shouldn’t be too difficult to do should it?

Back