Just traded for a 1956 T Bird and have slipping/shifting problems in trans and overheat when idling.

A
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi,
Firstly.. THANKS for this forum and welcoming me to the world of classic Birds. I was fortunate to have a 40 year owner of a 56 as a client who like my 2003 SL500 and we traded. It wasn't running but I got it running with some cleaning. It had basically been sitting in his garage for the last 20 years. Once I was able, I drove it to the mechanic where i got hosed for 4400 for , all new brakes, rebuilt carb, new gas tank, tune up, antenna, engine and tranny mounts, thermostat,stater and solenoid,and exhaust system. I brought it back right after I picked it up as it ran so rich it almost gave me c monoxide poisoning... and still clunked badly. I picked it up yesterday where they did honor their warranty but now the tranny seems to start at wrong gear and slips.. (I smelled burning fluid)... and it runs to hot when idling for any long period of time. The mechanic said he added "shims" to tranny mount to address my clunking noise complaint. PLEASE HELP! Any ideas?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Since it is an older automatic transmission it is very simple to rebuild and anyone with mechanical amplitude can rebuild them. they are very ismple and easy to adjust. Bands adjust from the outside with an inch pound torque wrench and it has two pumps in it so that you can push start the car. Also the torque converter comes apart for cleaning. You need to find out what causes the clunking prior to doing any more work. Shims are not needed unless the transmission mounts are totally gone. Buy you a manual on it and start working on it yourself as it is much more gratifying to say I fixed this and I fixed that. It isn't rocket science and is more e common sense than anything. Anybody can fix things if they are not afraid to work on them. As for me I finally found out that I could work on anything. I am in the works of a total restoration and have my car down to the bare metal with all parts removed completely. It is a 1955 that sat for 20 years in california and has a 312 w/2 4 barrel carbs. and a Boss mustang T10 for-warner 4 speed in it and a boss mustang 411 rear-end with a Hone-o-drive overdrive built onto the rear end. I will be putting a HP 390 and a C6 automatic trans back into it. It will come alive and still get good mileage at top end with the 30% overdrive. Gotta lot of work to do. Have fun with yours.

Hi,
Firstly.. THANKS for this forum and welcoming me to the world of classic Birds. I was fortunate to have a 40 year owner of a 56 as a client who like my 2003 SL500 and we traded. It wasn't running but I got it running with some cleaning. It had basically been sitting in his garage for the last 20 years. Once I was able, I drove it to the mechanic where i got hosed for 4400 for , all new brakes, rebuilt carb, new gas tank, tune up, antenna, engine and tranny mounts, thermostat,stater and solenoid,and exhaust system. I brought it back right after I picked it up as it ran so rich it almost gave me c monoxide poisoning... and still clunked badly. I picked it up yesterday where they did honor their warranty but now the tranny seems to start at wrong gear and slips.. (I smelled burning fluid)... and it runs to hot when idling for any long period of time. The mechanic said he added "shims" to tranny mount to address my clunking noise complaint. PLEASE HELP! Any ideas?
The automatic transmission in a 1956 Thunderbird is a Fordomatic and it is designed to start out in 2nd gear and shift into 3rd. If you press down on the accelerator to the floor, the transmission will kick down into 1st gear. The transmission will also start off in 1st gear if the selector lever is in manual low.

If the transmission is slipping and the fluid smells burnt, the damage is done and the transmission will have to be overhauled. Most likely the clutches in the front clutch drum are worn out from a piston seal leak in the front clutch. If you try to adjust the bands in the transmission you will have to remove the transmission pan and use the special ¼ inch spacer block to adjust the front band. The read band is adjusted from the outside of the transmission, but as I said the damage is already done and I don’t think adjusting the bands will correct your slipping problem.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Ugh.. not good news. At least the looters last night left my T BIRD ALONE!!!! Be safe.

Back