Just joined (HELP) I think I have a bad tranny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yogi Dave

Yogi Dave

Spring Lake! But currently in Sun Diego!
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Love the forum! This is a great thing to have, especially for us newbies. My very first car was a '66 T-Bird...best (and coolest) car I've ever owned. So when the opportunity presented itself to purchase an '02 I jumped on it. After driving it for a week my wife & I were out for a ride when it decided it didn't want to shift (I think it was fro D3->D4?)...and I noticed the gear display on the dash no longer told me what gear I was in and instead only showed a code "E". Driving around at 3-4,000 RPM didn't seem like a good thing to do so I scheduled in at the Ford dealership (even though it only happened that one day). This morning they called me and told me they think I either need a new tranny or a rebuild...to the tune of around $1,800!! Yikes! The rep told me they have had several of these that they have had to rebuild and Ford knows about the problem and actually has a rebuild kit for the dealerships for when this happens. Has anyone out there heard of this and/or experienced it themselves? Are there any alternatives? Are there aftermarkets, or will rebuilt trannies from other Ford models work? HELP?! Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Dave:
Several owners have had the E problem but I believe they were mostly on 2003 models. However, none of them, as I recall, needed a new tranny.

If you need more info, you have my email address

I just did a search, above, on "Dreaded E and got many threads. Here's just two:

http://forums.thunderbirdforum.com/showthread~t~3827~highlight~Dreaded+problem.htm
http://forums.thunderbirdforum.com/showthread~t~3830~highlight~Dreaded.htm

Do your homework and you won't need a tranny....If you want, you can STILL get a 4 year ext warranty on a 2002 from Ford. Let me know

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back