Just acquired a non running 78 diamondd jubilee

• Thread starter Rustyshackleford
  • Start date
R

Rustyshackleford

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
25k miles only. It hasn’t been started since 1983 but has been kept in a garage. I’m not a mechanic but I want to get this running and restored. Advice on where to start? some trim pieces on inside are missing. Where can I acquire those?
Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

25k miles only. It hasn’t been started since 1983 but has been kept in a garage. I’m not a mechanic but I want to get this running and restored. Advice on where to start? some trim pieces on inside are missing. Where can I acquire those?
Thanks

You can find trim pieces once in a while on e-bay; but finding them for a 78 DJE will be a challenge. If car has been sitting, the gas tank will need to be removed and cleaned; gas lines blown out; and carb rebuilt (probably). Drain the old oil out. You might ask the local guys at your auto parts store what additional, special oil they recommend to prepare a motor that has been sitting for a long period of time. Check tranny fluid level, coolant levels, brake fluid; check for dry rot on tires. If you can post some pix of your new catch. And congratulations!

You will be money ahead replacing gas tank, gas lines, brakes lines, coolant hoses, belts thermostat. And probably the heater core.
Rebuild the brake moving parts, replace shoes, pads,
Hopefully the motor is not stuck, new plugs, wires, carb rebuild.
Change all fluids.
Pre lube motor before trying to start,

Back