Is the 1955 Hood Scoop Functional?

C
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
is the 55 hood scoop functional ? I noticed as I raise the hood on the inside of the scoop is a plate with 4 bolts which could be removed to allow for air flow ? anyone have knowledge of the scoop? thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I've revised your subjects from "55' hood scoop" to "Is the 1955 Hood Scoop Functional?"

modelyear.jpg

is the 55 hood scoop functional ? I noticed as I raise the hood on the inside of the scoop is a plate with 4 bolts which could be removed to allow for air flow ? anyone have knowledge of the scoop? thanks
i remember reading somewhere that you remove the block off for summer driving conditions

yes, the hood scoop is functional. In Southern California you don't need the block off plate. The plate is there for people who drive in cold winter climates.

Leave it blocked off. There was a study done in a wind tunnel that showed that the open scoop pressurizes the engine compartment and reduces the air flow through the radiator.

Thanks for the information - so based on the study done in a wind tunnel that showed that the open scoop pressurizes the engine compartment and reduces the air flow through the radiator. So if unblocked that would that result in the car overheating - or performance issues ?

I find it hard to believe that keeping it open would reduce air flow through the radiator, The opening just isn't big enough nor the engine compartment doesn't have that much free flowing air. Besides the scoop directs air directly to the air cleaner to get cooler air to the carb and hence more power. I have never heard of such a wind tunnel test. The decal for it even says 'Remove cover for summer operation'.

Last edited:
I have the cover off on my 57. Never really noticed a difference. Live in Northern Cal. Helps if in cold area. Car lived in Washington awhile. My father said it helped on cold days. Car been in family since new.

I do not think that Ford put a lot of thought into the cooling of these Early Birds. Other wise they would not have botched the water pump spacer. It is hard for me to believe that they did any testing on a 90+ degree day and then drove it in stop and go traffic. Think about it, all of the hot air coming out of the radiator has to exit the engine compartment one either side of the engine which is restrictive, add to that the air coming in the air scoop, most of which also has to exit down the sides of the engine. That additional air has to increase the backpressure on the radiator.

Hi All,
There has been a lot of discussion and conjecture w/r to leaving the hood scoop blocked off during summer driving or, as the decal suggests, removing it in the summer. Given that most (if not all) of the Early Birds have cooling issues, I am not sure Ford had a good handle on T-Bird engine cooling. I finally found a write up on this subject (see attached) . Per my comment above, if the drop in pressure of air flow across the radiator is decreased (due to increased backpressure) the cooling ability of the radiator is going to be decreased. If there is no air flow, there is no cooling. The attached may not definitively answer the question, but it is the only report of actual air flow testing that I have seen.

Note the report suggests leaving the plate in place and removing the splash shields.

Doug

Attachments

• Hood Scoop block off plate cooling.pdf
    489 KB · Views: 5
I would believe that cooler air from the air scoop would have many more benefits than warm air from the engine compartment to feed the carburetor.
Other than preventing snow or ice entering the carburetor, leaving it of in the winter would be better.
Just my thoughts,

Back