Is it worth the hassle to remove seats for floor soundproofing 1962 base model?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I understand that the front seats are bolted to the floor and might be removed by unfastening from underneath and so forth, but it really seems to me to leave well enough alone. Then again, it would be nice to have 2 more inches of legroom if the re-installation of the seats might include this modification. So, two questions: 1) I'd like to install butyl sound deadener to the firewall, floor, and console, and this would likely be much easier without the front seats in the way. This is what all the installation photos show. My concern is whether seats that have been in place for 56 years ought to just stay that way. Why chance screwing up one of the few things not to worry about, i.e. the front seats coming loose. But, if it's not a big deal, then 2) Can the re-installation of the front seats be easily modified to extend the legroom a couple inches for the driver? Anybody willing to share any relevant experience in soundproofing early 60's Tbirds will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

The seats in my 64 unbolted quite easily, just 4 bolts on each that came out without much effort. You can move the track back, insulate put seats back; if I can do it (and I am no mechanic) anyone can.

Just dive in and do it!

The floor pans are not that thick, mark / drill were you need to re position the seats. make sure you patch the existing holes then place the sound deadener then the seat rails along with the carpet.

Hi on my 62 the bolts came out quite easy as they were still covered in the underseal coating. Its had 4 per seat and only one caused me to use a longer wrench plus a spray of wd40. One thing though, the runners under the seat on the 62 are shaped to fit the floor as there is a structual section. So you would need to modify this to allow the seat to be repositioned.

Back