Is it worth it? 1965

N
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
I've always wanted a 'bird, and have finally found something that has my attention. A '65 hard top, 390 4bbl that is supposedly in "fair" condition. A few mechanical issues though. Soft brakes, steering that pulls, needs headliner and gauges don't work, AC out. So a bit of mechanical needed. Most of this seems straightfoward, but the gauges have me worried. Any thoughts on any of this. Also some rust but I'm told the underside is good. Any place that I should look that would be a definite deal kill? Car looks clean overall, $5900.

thanks in advance for any comments.
NN

I've always wanted a 'bird, and have finally found something that has my attention. A '65 hard top, 390 4bbl that is supposedly in "fair" condition. A few mechanical issues though. Soft brakes, steering that pulls, needs headliner and gauges don't work, AC out. So a bit of mechanical needed. Most of this seems straightfoward, but the gauges have me worried. Any thoughts on any of this. Also some rust but I'm told the underside is good. Any place that I should look that would be a definite deal kill? Car looks clean overall, $5900.

NN
I think thats too for the car. Add up your time and costs for the repairs and I think you will find too much invested. I would look for one that doesnt need all that work. Example, I just got a quote to recharge AC in a 1990 caddy. They suggest changing the system with a new modern one because of the old freaon used in the older AC units, $1800.00 The guages could be simple fuse but are a bear to change them out good luck

Yah and it was only driven to church by an old lady and always garaged. I've watched several restoration car shows where the body looks pristine but the frame could barely hold a bag of groceries. You are 'told the underside is good'. Don't bet on it. put it on a lift and look for yourself with somebody who knows. For that price it should be a category 3+. You already know it's going to take several grand let alone the electrical issues being traced at $100/hr unless you already know how to do it. $2500 on a gamble and not a penny more.

I take it the car is local, and you've seen it (soft brakes, pulls to one side). Do you have some jack stands and a creeper? As others have pointed out you need to see the undercarriage. These are unibody cars and rust is a major red flag. Jack it up, put a couple stands under there for safety and look around. Worst case, get down on the ground and use your phone's camera to take some videos from all 4 quadrants, moving the camera around. Is the exhaust rusted out? Rust on underside? Suspension - anything broken or missing? Remember these have a swaybar, does it look ok (suspension issues will often bend a sway bar end)? Another bad sign is spreaders or clamps on the front coils. Leaking shocks are almost normal. While they have to be replaced, the gas shocks used were poor back then.
As far as the gauges, do all the other electronics work: wipers, washer, interior and cluster lights, directionals (same flash speed on both sides?), radio etc? Wiring harness issues usually extend beyond just the gauges.

NN
Cars for sale discussion goes in the cars for sale discussion area. Moving post.

NN
All of the other responses, and then some. I have owned several 65s and loved the ride and body style. Back in the day I would have them for everday transportation. They were like a Timex and take a likin and keep on ticken. Now 56 years later it is a different story. Electrical gremlins are no fun to track down in these birds. Also vacuum hoses tend to be dried out, cracked and brittle and they are everywhere in this car, especially for the heat and a/c and are a nightmare to track down. I would look for one that has been sorted out pretty good before investing in one unless you are a good trouble shooter and have lots of patience. If you can find a good one you will love it. Good luck

I would pass on this one. Weak breaks and pulling to one side would probably be cured with a new brake jog and alignment. Rust is another issue. It is expensive to repair the damage and paintwork is expensive. I took a bid on my 1978 for a paid job and an Okay job was $7,500.00 - a custom job will be much more. A/C is a must if your are in a hot climate and need it, as I do here in Texas can cost up up to $5,000.00. If you have rust on one place of the body look for others - it will be there. I would search for one that does not have power windows and seats. You did not say what the interior is like and if you are interested in just a driver or one to show. Split pr cracked dash, torn seats and overall fading can be fixed but it is quite expensive.

Thanks to everyone who piped in. Greatly appreciated!

Attached are some shots. I did get a video of it running. Hard to tell.. maybe an exhaust leak? would need quite a bit of work. Seller has no problem with me taking it to a shop to put up on a lift. I'd also like to pull a compression check too. Paint on it looks like an amateur job.. sprayed over all the rubber bump stops.

Attachments

• IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0546.JPG
    IMG_0546.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0550.JPG
    IMG_0550.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0551.JPG
    IMG_0551.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0552 2.JPG
    IMG_0552 2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0553.JPG
    IMG_0553.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0555.JPG
    IMG_0555.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0560.JPG
    IMG_0560.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0566.JPG
    IMG_0566.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
An older car needs a complete facelift, wheel cylinders master cylinder, engine refresh transmission seals, vacuum hoses, hardened exhaust valves, rubber hoses etc. etc. Just completed my winter Covid project on a 64 Landau that cost me $7200 in parts to refresh but everything is now pristine. I was able to do all the work and car had an unbelievable low clock reading of less than 7,000 miles. I now have a total of $14,200 in car and it is not a so called highly collectable car. You need to rebuild all the problem areas you spoke of and more so start with the best car you can afford and take your time. It is the enjoyment and relaxation you should look at and not the cost. Definitely put it on a rack rust sometimes is the highest cost to repair. Enjoy and good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_E6003.JPG
    IMG_E6003.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6284.JPG
    IMG_6284.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
Nick after looking at your pics I would say car is not worth the trouble, don't mean to be pretentious but car is in my opinion worth half of what they are asking. Forgive my candor.

No need for to "forgive the candor"... instead, thank you very much.

I know nothing about the cars so I thought I would post here before I got in deeper. And yeah, I realize T Birds are not like Broncos or Trucks which seem to have taken over the collectables market. I don't have an area to work on the car, so your $7200 in parts probably would at least be double maybe triple. I may consider upping the ante and looking for something much better out of the box.

Cheers and congrats on an awesome car!
NN

I would pass on that one Nick, there are a lot of really nice birds out there priced under 10k.

Having looked at your pictures posted, I concur with all the others - leave this one alone.

Back