Information needed on cowl vent controls 1957

B

Beginner

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I bought a 1957 that I probably should not have. It was apparently half way through a poor restoration effort and pretty much has the market cornered on items that need to be replaced or repaired or are just plain missing. Much of the work looks like it was done by a 15 year old, so I'm going through it end to end. I did find a New Hampsire News March 15th 1964 newspaper jammed tightly between the trunk hinge and the quarter panel with the headline declaring, "Ruby Must Die In Chair!", so that was interesting.

Well for better or worse (mainly worse), it's mine, and as I was looking for a project I certainly got my moneys worth.

All of the fresh air vents are missing as are the fender cowl vent boxes. I managed to get replacement cowl vent boxes, but I don't know how the fender vent doors are connected to the cables in the dashboard. Anyone out there have pictures or a description of what goes on the two posts in the fender vent boxes? Whoever was working on this last replaced the inner fender wells and deleted all of the fresh air inlets into the car including the round duct as well as the square hole for the fender cowl vent.

I'll be asking all finds of questions as at this point I have the engine and transmission out (looks like a 292 mated to a Fordomatic) so this is definetly not a show car.

In any event, the plan is to repair and replace everything that needs it either stock, or with modification as required, but I could use some help if folks out there have experience and information to share.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Fender Vent Boxes" Are these the vents on the side of the car between the door and wheel opening?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Fender Vent Boxes" Are these the vents on the side of the car between the door and wheel opening?
Yes, behind the vent door on the fender there is a box that leads from the exterior vent door to the car interior where the big chrome grate is in the foot well. There are two posts welded inside the box that have something to do with opening and closing the vent door. I'm imagining a bell crank to open the vent door, and a spring to help pull it closed, but that is pure speculation as I have never seen any of it. If someone can snap a picture of that setup and post it that would be very helpful.

I've attached a couple of pics of where I am so far.

Note the lack of a hole in the right fender for the blower fan fresh air inlet. At least I have the fan! Likewise the heater core was shot so that needs replacing.

Many other parts missing / broken or replaced with items made from box nails and coat hangers. The box nail was holding the shift linkage together, and gravity was holding the box nail in.

This car is a blank slate. It was colonial white, a previous owner had everything, and I mean everything painted red, and the paint is terrible full of bad bodywork and pinholes.

All that is going including stripping and refinishing or replacing the parts that should not be painted red.

I'm pretty sure I'm going back with springmist green and white.

Again any help with the fender vent box is is appreciated.
Tbird engine out.jpgtbird engine out2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the cowl vent parts are available Part #s 02104-02281. As far as the hole for the heater motor inlet it looks as though somebody patched over it. Behind the fender well it should attach to the fresh air duct coming from the grill.

Thanks! That sure does give me ideas, though there appears to be additional parts needed. Any additional information is appreciated.

Thanks! That sure does give me ideas, though there appears to be additional parts needed. Any additional information is appreciated.
Going through my parts catalogs most parts are available from the different vendors. Get as many vendor catalogs you can find as some have parts others don't but most have very good exploded diagrams with part numbers to help you sort through what you have or don't have.
You are not the first to find modifications due to not knowing why things were built the way they were or didn't know the availability of original style parts.

Thank you so very much, and if I may, what publication did this information come from?

After having time to review this, the design and operation of the vent is completely clear. The use of the spring is very clever. Thanks again Paul5456.

Both CASCO and Concours Parts have the parts you need
They also have the original illustrations as posted above
Good luck with your bird
I see a lot of good things in the pictures

Back