I am a new 1957 tbird owner

schevola
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi yall, This is my 1st tbird forum i have joined, I just recently came into possession of a 1957 thunder bird. I just towed it from Northern California all the way to central Georgia. I am not even sure where to start with this beauty, she has been sitting for well over 25 years, and needs LOTS of love. Any where you could point me would be helpful, and I would love to share with yall the progress as i make it. Right now just in the research phase(I am mechanically inclined, but not a mechanic) waiting for my mom and her husband to get out here. It was his dream to rebuild it, but he is having memory problems, so i am here to help him out.

Thanks All and here is to a fun journey.

I attached a picture of her, as we were building the mobile garage to keep her procted
20210828_133500(1).jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Welcome. Lots of knowledgeable folks here with amazing mechanical knowledge. They'll get you moving in the right direction.

Keep us updated on your progress. Any additional pics of engine and interior?

You will have to go through everything. I would first attempt to get it running. Check fluids. Drain the gas from the gas tank and carburetor (if any). Clean out the tank, if salvageable, and put fresh gas in it. You will need a new battery. Check battery cables for corrosion. Pull the spark plugs (one at a time, so you don't mix up wires) and put some oil/lubricant down the cylinders). Disconnect coil wire and crank engine to get oil pumping. Reconnect the coil wire and attempt to start. Keep a fire extinguisher handy. Make sure brakes are not locked up or leaking. If the wheels freely rotate, and the brake pedal doesn't go to the floor when you step on it, attempt to move the car under its own power. Don't attempt to drive the car on a public street/highway, unless you are confident you can control and stop it in the event of an emergency. Once you get this far, let us know. Time, know-how, motivation, and budget will determine how far you will want to go with it.

Hi yall, This is my 1st tbird forum i have joined, I just recently came into possession of a 1957 thunder bird. I just towed it from Northern California all the way to central Georgia. I am not even sure where to start with this beauty, she has been sitting for well over 25 years, and needs LOTS of love. Any where you could point me would be helpful, and I would love to share with yall the progress as i make it. Right now just in the research phase(I am mechanically inclined, but not a mechanic) waiting for my mom and her husband to get out here. It was his dream to rebuild it, but he is having memory problems, so i am here to help him out.

Thanks All and here is to a fun journey.

I attached a picture of her, as we were building the mobile garage to keep her procted
View attachment 18601
Looks like a good project car, The body looks straight so you can deal with the mechanicals first. As far as your Mothers husband, Something like this may jog a few memory cells and soon you may start hearing " I remember back when...." )

Welcome. Lots of knowledgeable folks here with amazing mechanical knowledge. They'll get you moving in the right direction.

Keep us updated on your progress. Any additional pics of engine and interior?
Thanks for the welcome, I will get some over the weekend

I'm doing the same. Parked in Oregon since '89 and towed it back to Colorado. Got the engine running and have smoke billowing out oil dipstick and valley cover vent. It might be shot. Take it easy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back