HT leads plug sequence on 1957

RichW
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey Guys,

I have a ‘56 car with ‘57 distributor. I took the HT leads off the car while doing other work and some of the labels have come off, I know, should have attached them better!

I only have the ‘56 shop manual and wondered if someone with a ‘57 shop manual would be kind enough to post a copy of the page with the distributor to plug sequence so I can get the leads back on correctly. Also, when they say left and right side of the engine, are they looking at it from the front?

Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hey Guys,

I have a ‘56 car with ‘57 distributor. I took the HT leads off the car while doing other work and some of the labels have come off, I know, should have attached them better!

I only have the ‘56 shop manual and wondered if someone with a ‘57 shop manual would be kind enough to post a copy of the page with the distributor to plug sequence so I can get the leads back on correctly. Also, when they say left and right side of the engine, are they looking at it from the front?

Thanks.

The left side of the engine is the driver’s side and the right side of the engine is the passenger’s side.

If you look at the distributor cap you will see that one of the ignition wire towers has a #1 marked next to it. This is the tower that cylinder 1 ignition wire connects to. If you look on the intake manifold you will see the firing order listed.

1578656753040.png

Starting at cylinder 1 tower on the distributor cap, move counter clockwise and the next tower is cylinder 5. After that the next tower is cylinder 4. Keep moving counterclockwise around the distributor cap following the firing order and you will have the ignition wires installed back in their proper order.

doug7740
1977 Thunderbird Blue

I've updated your subject to summarize your post.

Hi Doug,

Thank you, that’s great. Just one more thing please, are cylinders 1&5 at the front of the engine?

Cylinder no 1 is at the front of the passenger side of the engine. The firing order of a 56 will be the same as a 57.

Thanks CPISDY, is 5 at the front of the drivers side?

Hey Guys,

Thanks.
right side is passenger side cylinders are 1234 rt 5678lft

Back