How difficult to change to a limited slip diff on a 1970?

J

jazbo

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Did they share rear axles with other big Fords of the day?

Did they share rear axles with other big Fords of the day?
Limited slip DIFF is what used to be called POSITRACTION . Instead of one wheel spinning both wheels spin together. If you're not driving it on snow and ice or on the track you shouldn't have to worry about POSITRACTION. Yes normal axles will fit right in it's place. If you're talking about removing and replacing the whole axle. Unhook the drive shaft, Bottom shock bolts, remove springs, unhook your brake line going to axle not the wheel cylinders, unbolt axle. There's usually 2 U bolts on each side. Might be a lil different but it bolts to the frame. Replace it with the other one same way in reverse. Bolt the axle back up then work on everything else. No need to take drums, brake shoes and everything off. Take it all off in complete axle. Hope this helps.

The axle under your thunderbird is the Ford 9". Usually there is a tag on the axle which shows what the gear ratio is.
IMG_0263.JPG IMG_0264.JPG IMG_0265.JPG IMG_0268.JPG IMG_0269.JPG IMG_0270.JPG IMG_0271.JPG IMG_0272.JPG IMG_0273.JPG IMG_0274.JPG

If my old memory serves me, (which sometimes it doesn't). Poistrack was a GM name for there limited slip diffs. Ford called theirs Traclock. They both function in the same way with a clutch pack and springs in the carrier. Nice thing about the Ford 9 is that it the whole carrier assembly can be removed from the axle housing without totally removing the axle housing from the vehicle.
Take care
Ed

If my old memory serves me, (which sometimes it doesn't). Poistrack was a GM name for there limited slip diffs. Ford called theirs Traclock. They both function in the same way with a clutch pack and springs in the carrier. Nice thing about the Ford 9 is that it the whole carrier assembly can be removed from the axle housing without totally removing the axle housing from the vehicle.
Take care
Ed
Yup exactly this. Though its a bitch pulling the carrier while in the car unless you got a lift. Be careful removing it because it weighs a ton

Back