Hole in the cylinder head right side and 57 B manifold install

fjrtony
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Another question, actually 2, for the group. First, looking for the source of my oil leak and thinking it might be the valley pan I looked around it. What found on the head was a material that apparently was used to plug a hole. On the opposite side, the temp plug is located. Anyone have an idea what the hole is for? Second question, I got a 57 B manifold to place an edelbrock on it, but there appears to be changes to the vacuum locations. Anyone do this swap? Thanks!
upload_2019-2-14_19-4-46.jpeg

upload_2019-2-14_19-5-6.jpegupload_2019-2-14_19-4-46.jpeg upload_2019-2-14_19-5-6.jpeg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Mine has a freeze plug in that hole. Can't help with the vacuum issue

The right hand (passenger side) cylinder head on all 292/312 engines have a cupped plug pressed into the rear of the head.

doug7740

Maybe I should just shut up, but unless you have a lot of expertise, my experience was putting on an edelbrock (4brl?) caused some problems,,,,,,had my engine completely rebuild by a real expert (often won't take car engines (mostly international race boats) , bored .060 and because of my Holly float leaking that wouldn't stop and another fellows problems identical to mine, someone suggested putting and Edelbrock on which I did. When the engine was running, it was way too rich and the smell of fumes was heavy...….Have since learned, that one must play around with the jetting to get it right on that carb and significant messing with the throttle linkage to get it to clear the intake manifold which if you let it rub as is might result in the linkage sticking at full throttle. Holly has solved the float problem with their newer carbs.....I called Holly's "expert" number and after answering specific engine questions, they sent me a carb that worked great right out of the box....although the one issue was the base gasket they sent wasn't the 4 port kind, but the open type and my manifold (stock) required the 4 port #56...…..Luckily, someone found one here locally.

Good Luck with your project...………..

Back