Help with 57 T-bird choke adjustment

B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I just purchased a 1957 T-bird 312 CID engine and factory 4 barrel carb. I have not had tme to work on this but the engine does not want to start unless I push down on the gas peddle. It seems the large butterfly on the top of the carb stays closed all the way. So it seems when I can introduce some air with the throttle it will start. I assume this large butterfly valve is the choke. Is there any adjustment that can be made manuly on this?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You are misunderstanding the operation of the choke. The top butterfly is the choke. When cold it's supposed to be closed and when the motor warms up the thermostat spring in the black plastic cover will tighten and open the choke butterfly. If it doesn't open when warm it's the thermostat. Parts are available.

OK thank you. I have seen chokes on carburetors that can be manually adjusted also. Thank you again.

Yes there is a notch in the black cover and an index line on the carburetor as a start. It's just a matter of loosening the screws and turning the cover. Don't be afraid of removing the cover to check the condition of the spring. The cover spring and gasket are available. A couple of pumps of the throttle to start is normal. Especially if if its been sitting a few days. .

Thank you, this is the adjustment I was wondering about, I believe it tightens the thermostat spring when the cover is turned. Thanks again.

Back