Help with 1965 T-Bird (won't start)

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. As many of you may know we sign up for forums to share information about the cars we love. Thus, my post here. I didn't see a search engine, so here goes: Working on my sister's 1965 Ford Thunderbird yesterday...it's been in the family since new! So, I suppose you might say it's a one owner car.

Question 1: Needed a battery....the car hasn't run for over a year and the old battery was dead (out of the car)....seemed to be the wrong size battery anyway (too small). The car ran fine when parked in the garage. Went to Advance Auto and specified a 1965 T-bird and we bought a red top optima. It's too short for the original battery tray, but I know they are great batteries so I think we'll keep it unless someone has a better idea for a battery that matches the original "longer" size battery to fit the tray??? I plan to cut a piece of wood (painted black) to wedge in the open portion of the tray bottom to secure the battery from moving.

Question 2: I could not start the car! Engine doesn't turn over, not even a slight noise...nothing! It's a 390 V-8....59,xxx original miles as far as I know...very clean (the car has been partially restored with new paint & engine bay refresh). The new battery either needs charging (although the lights worked) or the swing-away steering wheel might be causing it not to start? I've never seen anything like this steering wheel. I read the owner's manual, and it says to put foot on the brake and move the lever back and forth (side-to-side) when in the "N" position to try and start the engine, in case it doesn't start in the "P" position. Could there be a faulty switch somewhere that might need replacing, or am I just missing something...remember, it ran & drove fine before parking it over a year ago.

Thanks for any help. Just on a side note, my first job was at a Ford Dealership in Florida in 1966. I was the used car "wash boy"! Loved seeing these cars when brand new back in those days...was really something to witness in person!

Happy Motoring,

John

First try starting it by jumping the solenoid switch, just put a thick 6 inch wire on one end then touch the other end to the other terminal. If it does turn over, you know the problem is inside, a neutral safety switch.

Is the solenoid accessible from the engine compartment? I don't have the capability of accessing it from under the car where it is located at the moment. The 390 pretty much fills up the engine bay even in a large Bird!

All this is possible from the engine compartment.... The solenoid should be located on the inner fender. It has two large wires connected to each side. One comes from the battery. The other goes to the starter. There will be one or two smaller wires on the front of the solenoid switch. If it doesn't crank by jumping the solenoid I would pull the plugs out and put a little Mystery oil in the cylinders. then I would try to turn it a little by hand to ensure it can turn over.

All this is possible from the engine compartment.... The solenoid should be located on the inner fender. It has two large wires connected to each side. One comes from the battery. The other goes to the starter. There will be one or two smaller wires on the front of the solenoid switch. If it doesn't crank by jumping the solenoid I would pull the plugs out and put a little Mystery oil in the cylinders. then I would try to turn it a little by hand to ensure it can turn over.

Ok, thanks....I will check out the solenoid next week when I return to work on the car...and hopefully take it for a drive. I keep thinking there has to be an issue with the steering column and some sort of switch though. This car has been well cared for and it ran fine when put away a little over a year ago. It can't be seized. I'm not familiar with the steering column tilting away when put into "P". The manual says the car can be started in P or N, and if it won't start to put your foot on the brake and wiggle the selector either way when in "N" to start it. If that doesn't work, the manual says to take to the dealer to replace some switch? Am I even close on this? I was hoping this was a common problem on 65's...in other words, easy to diagnose and fix. :)

A little story for you.... I had a 66 convertible. The previous owner could not get the top to operate. He took out the back seat and wired in toggle switches so he could manually activate the switches to operate the top. He put the back seat back in the car with the switches lying on the seat (like a seat belt). When I got the car I put the wiring back the way it was supposed to be. I learned that the car had to be in park with the steering wheel tilted or the top would not operate. Bottom line... It worked flawlessly! Anyway. Back to your problem. I would not suspect a problem with your neutral safety start switch or the system in the steering column... unless someone told you it was a problem before it was parked. I would look to something like an engine that is stuck or a Bendix spring (in the starter) that is stuck due to the car sitting. Some Mystery oil in the cylinders can help break an engine loose. You might get the Bendix spring (starter) to operate by tapping lightly with a small ball peen hammer (but you need to reach up under the car for that.) You might be able to shock it enough from the top side if you use a long bar and hammer.

Ok, I'll try this one more time....I know from research on other forums that the neutral safety switch can be a problem on these 1965 Birds....see this from another forum:

On A 1965 THUNDERBIRD there is neutral safety switch located on top the swing away steering column. There should be vacuum hoses going to the park brake release that will release the parking brake when it shifted into gear. I have had mine on 1966 thunberbird stick in drive position where it would not start. There will not be any power going to the starter solenoid to active the starter.. The neutral safety switch is not a part that will be available at the local parts house and most likely be available only at a parts house that specialize in the vintage Thunderbird parts like Larry Thunderbirds in California.. Another typical problem is the neutral safety switch is out of adjustment and you can hole the shifter leveler up in park and turn the key and it might start..

What is the exact starting procedure? The engine is NOT seized that I am certain of. I have not jumped the solenoid yet & I will try that next week when I go work on the car again.

What do I need to do with the steering wheel to start the car? The Optima battery is fully charged and ready to crank this thing over! :)

I remember years ago I had a Ford (I think it was my '66 Tee-bird) that would start when pushing the gear shift lever (on the column) up when in park. Try that first and you may be pleasantly surprised. It seems to me that lifting the lever was the way to unlock the wheel so it could swing away to the right side. My safety start switch was most likely out of adjustment but I left it that way to help act as a theft deterrent.

Do you have the owners manual? I don't mean a repair manual. I'm referring to the book that is in the glove box when you purchase a car. You may find instructions for the steering wheel and starting instructions in that book.

Can anyone else from this forum help? I am trying to work from memories on a car that I had over forty years ago. Is there someone with a 65 Thunderbird who can shed some light on this? Maybe even share information from an owners's manual?

As John mentioned the neutral safety switch being out of adjustment is a common problem in these cars. It is mounted under the dash at the base of the steering column, screwed to the column with small sheet metal screws, slotted holes in the switch bracket allow adjustment. You have to be somewhat of a contortionist to service it. I forget if they are 1/4" or 5/16" drive screw heads.

Having owned old Fords for many years, whenever I get the no-go as you have, I instinctively reach over the top of the steering column with my left hand and lift up on the shift lever, from its park position. When the switches go out of adjustment, they typically do in the counter-clockwise position. If you find that is the problem, adjust it, tighten the screws, then use a worm gear type hose clamp to clamp the switch more securely over the column.

The starter solenoid is easy to test. Just review your wiring diagram.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it was the neutral safety switch! :) I reached over the steering column with my left hand and pulled up on the gear selector lever and the big 390 cranked right up. Btw, I pulled the air cleaner off and that big 4-barrel was spotless and was taking fuel so I just knew it had to be the steering column "issue", or something else electrical.

As to the battery, the red top Optima is doing a fine job cranking the engine over....I cut out a block of wood from a 2" x 4" piece of wood, shaped it & painted it black and it fit in the space between the shorter Optima and the longer stock battery tray length for batteries of yesteryear and it's just fine!

Thanks again to those who replied!

John

I'm guessing color code "P" for prairie bronze iridescent

Maybe color code "C" for Honey gold

you mentioned to someone that "

The starter solenoid is easy to test. Just review your wiring diagram. " i am pulling my hair out over that ... i replaced the starter solenoid with new one and forgot how to wire it back up and it wont " engage/turn over ... the diagrams i have seen to be contradictory .... could you tell me the correct way to wire it .... i have it wired like this but it wont " activate that starter now

Back