HELP! I need an replacement rear axle for my '57 Thunderbird!

David L.
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I've been told that a prior mechanic botched a rear axle seal leak repair. Seems he didn't have the press needed for the bearings and did a welding job! Now the right rear axle seal is leaking again and I'm told I need a new rear axle!

This car was left to me by my late father so I want to do the job right. I've tried Larry's Thunderbirds, and a couple of websites, without success.

Help!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It is possible they can replace the end on your housing. Depends on where you're located . There is usually a shop nearby that can do it

It is possible they can replace the end on your housing. Depends on where you're located . There is usually a shop nearby that can do it
Thanks for the suggestion. I wonder how to find someone... in case I strike out on the replacement housing. I appreciate your reply!

Orlando... and it's a great time of the year to be enjoying the old car. So, I'm anxious to get this work completed.

I ran your suggestion by the mechanic I dealt with today. If I understood him correctly, he has a concern about getting the welded pieces precisely aligned.

I appreciate the suggestion. I'm going to resume my search again tomorrow. Best wishes.

The Absolute BEST thing you can do -- buy a new axle!

I was told that both axles on my 64 were slightly bent. Yes, I could fell it, when driving very slowly there was a slight wobble. Finally at one point I went back to this shop and asked for a new axle. They began fussing, saying you can buy shims and such -- but I wanted NEW. No junkyard pieces, new axle. Then they fussed that they don't make new replacements. Uh, yes they do! Strange makes them, Moser makes them, you need to measure the length of both sides (they are often different) and check the number of teeth on the gears. At this point I might've gone to another shop, except this one does good work. They agreed, they got them from Moser, and holy mackerel -- what an improvement in the ride! I don't recall just how long it took -- maybe a couple weeks, but it was we; worth it.

Naturally this is something you don't do yourself, unless you have a press and all the other tools. But a good shop worth its salt should be able to take care of you.

I've been told that a prior mechanic botched a rear axle seal leak repair. Seems he didn't have the press needed for the bearings and did a welding job! Now the right rear axle seal is leaking again and I'm told I need a new rear axle!

This car was left to me by my late father so I want to do the job right. I've tried Larry's Thunderbirds, and a couple of websites, without success.

Help!
What Ratio do you need? I have a good collection of parts. Thanks, Ron

Sounds to me like he doesn't need the pumpkin, only the shafts. If the pumpkin DOES need a rebuild, this can certainly be done -- and parts are available.

Many thanks to all who have offered suggestions!

I’m going to try and find a new axle. The mechanic said I need only the side which has the welding damage (right), that it’s 30 1/4 inches in total length, and has 28 spines.

As I inherited this car from my father, it’s very important that I keep it well. I want to do the repairs the right way.

I’m not blessed with a mechanical background or experience. As a result, guidance from other passionate Thunderbird owners holds a lot of value with me. Thanks again!

Happy Easter all!

No problem! I wish I had received good information on my car when I first got it -- would've saved a lot of time and expense!

Help!
I have one and in Lakeland if you want to come and look at it. 863 660 6132

Thank you for reaching out regarding the axle for my '57 T-Bird.

I was considering having one made by one of the suggested companies.

What is the condition of yours?

Asking price?

Thanks,
David Loranger

$250 for the whole rearend brake drum to brake drum. Looks to be in good condition. I got it with a car I bought as extra parts.

Thank you for your reply. I am interested but am out of town for business this week (back home this weekend).

Could this fit in my car trunk if I were to come out for it next weekend?

Yes. Anytime after 10 AM. 3606 Century Blvd Lakeland. Just east of the entrance of Lakeland Linder Apt.

Tyler
863 660 61322

Thank you!

I’ll call prior to leaving my house in S/W Orlando. It’ll likely take me 30 to 45 minutes to get there.

Have a fine balance to your week and I’ll see you soon.

Dave Loranger

Hi Tyler:

Just to confirm, the rear end is from a ‘57 Thunderbird, correct?

Thanks,
Dave

Back