Hard Top Weather Strip

BudP

BudP

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I removed my hardtop from the '57 bird: looks like it was on there for decades. Weatherstrip had melted onto the paint. Removed the weather strip on the paint one inch at a time after figuring out rehydration of the gunk, not heat, was the answer. Rehydrated using a Maguire tar remover product and a popsicle stick so as not to harm the paint.

Now, just started the process of removing the rusty screws and "melted" weather stripping from the hardtop. Using plastic sticks to remove the weather stripping and the adhesive. Again, the process is so slow I need the patience of Mother Theresa, which I would rather not try to achieve.

Does anyone have any suggestions that would speed up the process without "bleeding" the adhesive and gummy weather stripping onto the white headliner?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Some jobs have no short cuts, but if you cover the headliner with some plastic you can be more aggressive with the removal process. Time is a valuable commodity, I beleive in this case it will be well spent.

I removed my hardtop from the '57 bird: looks like it was on there for decades. Weatherstrip had melted onto the paint. Removed the weather strip on the paint one inch at a time after figuring out rehydration of the gunk, not heat, was the answer. Rehydrated using a Maguire tar remover product and a popsicle stick so as not to harm the paint.

Now, just started the process of removing the rusty screws and "melted" weather stripping from the hardtop. Using plastic sticks to remove the weather stripping and the adhesive. Again, the process is so slow I need the patience of Mother Theresa, which I would rather not try to achieve.

Does anyone have any suggestions that would speed up the process without "bleeding" the adhesive and gummy weather stripping onto the white headliner?
How did the job go? I just had my headliner and all weather stripping replaced by a guy who only does custom and classic car upholstery. I gave him all the needed materials. Did a wonderful job. I too have the problem of the old gummy leftovers from the old stuff. And a patient man I am. Thanks for the encouragement.

Job went well. Glad your job turned out so well. Sorry for the delayed response.

Back