GPS from phone issues

OhioTbird

OhioTbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I know this isn't really just a 57 issue but thought I'd post it here to start.

I was able to take the 57 out yesterday for a wonderful cruise thru the countryside. I had a destination in mind ( a gas station an hour away) but found that when I was driving along the iPhone (google Maps and Waze) both had issues finding my current location. Note that I was in rural Ohio so not many cell towers around.

I put the phone up on the dash and it seemed to have a better connection to the GPS.

Here's the odd question ... Is it somehow possible that the convertible roof was interfering with the signal? I was getting 3 bars on Verizon but nothing for GPS. How would a canvas top interfere with that or was it possibly the convertible top frame?

Seemed really strange. Makes me think of updating my nav to a new Garmin for road trips.

Anyone else with anything similar?

I know this isn't really just a 57 issue but thought I'd post it here to start.

I was able to take the 57 out yesterday for a wonderful cruise thru the countryside. I had a destination in mind ( a gas station an hour away) but found that when I was driving along the iPhone (google Maps and Waze) both had issues finding my current location. Note that I was in rural Ohio so not many cell towers around.

I put the phone up on the dash and it seemed to have a better connection to the GPS.

Here's the odd question ... Is it somehow possible that the convertible roof was interfering with the signal? I was getting 3 bars on Verizon but nothing for GPS. How would a canvas top interfere with that or was it possibly the convertible top frame?

Seemed really strange. Makes me think of updating my nav to a new Garmin for road trips.

Anyone else with anything similar?

The issue is obviously reception, but it has a lot more to do with your rural location than your convertible top. As for where to place the phone, it's experimental. You have direct signal from somewhere -- you might receive it better on the dash than the seat, or vice versa. You also have the potential for multipath, where the same signal bounces off the car fender or floor and reaches the phone out of phase with the direct signal, cancelling it out. This is the same thing that causes flup-flup-flup on your FM radio when driving downtown -- signal bouncing off of buildings and such. I don't know of any good answer except to say that there are places where GPS doesn't receive well.

I use Google maps on a Samsung via Verizon and have no problems in convertibles. But I would wait until you are in an area with more cell towers before completing your evaluation.

Your GPS & phone connect to each other via bluetooth.

Your phone must have a good data connection to the Verizon network.

I suggest re-pairing your phone & GPS. Also, make sure your GPS is running the latest software buy updating it.

Excellent advice about experimenting. I do have my old Garmin and I'll put that in the car and run with the phone and the Garmin side by side. See if one works better than the other.

Your GPS & phone connect to each other via bluetooth.

Your phone must have a good data connection to the Verizon network.

I suggest re-pairing your phone & GPS. Also, make sure your GPS is running the latest software buy updating it.

I hadn't thought of that. I thought he was using the navigation on his phone, not a separate GPS unit that connects to the phone. If you have two pieces, Bluetooth can also act funny depending on conditions. Same thing applies -- experiment.

Some years ago, I was just seeing GPS for the first time, and I was riding with somebody who was looking for an address. This was somewhere around Orlando or Clermont. Once we got in the neighborhood, the GPS died and we had trouble finding the address -- eventually found it by some trial and error. Today I have a Cadillac with built-in navigation, no problem. My Thunderbird has a converted radio with Bluetooth; I don't use navigation much but the few times I've used it, it has worked well. Of course the cell phone is doing the work; the navigation voice is coming through the stereo speakers.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: JDJ
Funny story:. The first GPS I had we took a trip to Wakasha Wisconsin, had I followed the GPS unquestionably I would have ended up in Lake Michigan.

I think it was the lack of Cell towers in a rural area that impacted the phone maps. Don't think it was able to triangulate the position.

I plugged in a Garmin today and it kept perfect location wherever I was. Problem solved.

Back