General restoration of 70 TBird

RockabillyBirdie

RockabillyBirdie

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all, new to the world of Thunderbirds here. The Husband and I just got our hands on a really clean, solid 1970. We are currently tweaking the C6 modulator for some shifting issues and such. The next is the hydro-wiper motor, all the power windows/ seats wiring is in sad shape, the heater was ripped right out, the horn isn't working. Random small things. So my question is....is there a good manual or go to place for finding diagrams and such for getting these odd ball jobs all done?
Thanks in advance!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi all, new to the world of Thunderbirds here. The Husband and I just got our hands on a really clean, solid 1970. We are currently tweaking the C6 modulator for some shifting issues and such. The next is the hydro-wiper motor, all the power windows/ seats wiring is in sad shape, the heater was ripped right out, the horn isn't working. Random small things. So my question is....is there a good manual or go to place for finding diagrams and such for getting these odd ball jobs all done?
Thanks in advance!
For a manual you can still get the ford publication reprint of the shop manual. As for wiring and vacuum diagrams... Well Ebay is where you go to hope someone has the old publications of the Ford shop wiring and vacuum diagrams.

0FF36BE7-A623-4DF5-B8EB-F85291AAE18F.jpeg Is yours the one that was listed on Facebook marketplace up by Buffalo by any chance? Till you get your manuals sorted out if you have any questions I have all the Ford manuals. Here’s a pic of mine, I’m down by Jamestown

View attachment 4077 Is yours the one that was listed on Facebook marketplace up by Buffalo by any chance? Till you get your manuals sorted out if you have any questions I have all the Ford manuals. Here’s a pic of mine, I’m down by Jamestown

Thank you!! And it probably is, we picked her up out in Niagara Falls area and the FB market place is where we found her. As far as the manuals go, what do you suggest starting with? I found a five volume Ford shop manual reprint....but my husband was told the shop manuals do not help with restorations?
Yours is gorgeous by the way, looking forward to getting mine looking nice again! Jamestown isn't terribly far either, I'm Holland area.

I have the factory manual set like you found, they do explain a lot, the only issue I have with them is that by that point in time Fords manuals covered all the cars lines so there is a lot of info that won’t pertain to your car, If it was like my older birds then 1 manual covered it all, but you really need all 5 because each book covers certain areas, engine, body, electrical, etc. What info was your husband after? I can look and see if it’s in a section before you buy a set. I had another set but shipped it off to Australia with another 70 I had figuring I’d never get another so this set I just bought last year, I got a original set way cheaper than what the reprints were selling for.

We are currently working on the wiper motor, and next is getting the electronics in the doors working ( windows and seat), I think he figured out the horn already. Parts are on the way so I hope so anyway lol. The car currently has no heat either, previous owner ripped that right out. So far as we can tell at this point, those are the only mechanical issues.

We are currently working on the wiper motor, and next is getting the electronics in the doors working ( windows and seat), I think he figured out the horn already. Parts are on the way so I hope so anyway lol. The car currently has no heat either, previous owner ripped that right out. So far as we can tell at this point, those are the only mechanical issues.
Hey I got the total opposite! Plenty of heat when I don’t want it. And get the manuals. Even though they do cover many cars of that year in a single volume they still have extensive tbird information that is worth having them. Vacuum and wiring diagrams are a different matter. No reprints of them really so you have to find originals. I have the complete set of wiring diagrams for my 69. I think I saw some for a 70 this as well. Get both if possible. Both would help you immensely in restoration. But with any redtoration a lot of work is from the hip.

Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome. I also live in NYS near Syracuse and I have my 1970 in the process of getting suspension rebuild. I also lived in Western NY so I know the area well. Definitely get the service manual reprint. The one I have is not text searchable but it is still necessary to find out the wacky 1960s electrical technology in these cars. I also need to redo the power seats and windows. The AC is shot and the heater barely works. So a ways to go too. Body is in nice shape since it spent most of its life in a deep Oregon valley where they get little snow but lots of rain. Biggest job so far was replacing the pass side exhaust manifold. Lots of little things and cosmetics other than that.

Hi and welcome. I also live in NYS near Syracuse and I have my 1970 in the process of getting suspension rebuild. I also lived in Western NY so I know the area well. Definitely get the service manual reprint. The one I have is not text searchable but it is still necessary to find out the wacky 1960s electrical technology in these cars. I also need to redo the power seats and windows. The AC is shot and the heater barely works. So a ways to go too. Body is in nice shape since it spent most of its life in a deep Oregon valley where they get little snow but lots of rain. Biggest job so far was replacing the pass side exhaust manifold. Lots of little things and cosmetics other than that.
Bah! rip that AC shoot out lol! That big block is for muscle! Besides... There is always 2/55 air conditioning.

That’s amazing actually that 3 of these things would end up so close together since you hardly ever see them. I’ll be redoing my interior if it ever quits raining long enough as I bought buckets and a console out in Michigan over the winter. If either of you are needing a bench seat let me know, hate to scrap it.

We have manuals ordered!! Got the wiper motor working.....but now it wont turn off lol, still on the hunt for wiring diagrams, but we'll get there. Once all the important things are fixed, we are starting on the interior as well. We got really lucky with the seats, the leather bucket with the console, all in good condition. Only one little tear in the back seat...the headliner is a whole other story though, and same with all the weather stripping and what not, all of that has gone to rot.

When you get a chance can you post how you fixed your wipers? Mine are inop at present. Weatherstrip will put you in the poor house on these. I will be replacing my weatherstrips on the body soon and if it works out I’ll let you know. I found some for a different car altogether that appear to be the same, atleast they do in the package, and they were extremely well priced. If I change out my rear seats also to match the buckets I bought I will have a non ripped set if yours happen to be black

You can still get the trunk weather stripping. Mac's auto parts had them. Or that's where I got mine. Door stuff I'd imagine is a lot harder to come by and requires you removing the glass I believe to get it on.

We have manuals ordered!! Got the wiper motor working.....but now it wont turn off lol, still on the hunt for wiring diagrams, but we'll get there. Once all the important things are fixed, we are starting on the interior as well. We got really lucky with the seats, the leather bucket with the console, all in good condition. Only one little tear in the back seat...the headliner is a whole other story though, and same with all the weather stripping and what not, all of that has gone to rot.
I have vac. and wiring diagrams for my 70 bird, If you don`t locate any I mite be able to copy and send them to you. AK. bird

Mac's Auto parts sells all of the weather stripping for the 1967-1970. Though most is pretty expensive. Open your wallet if you want to get into restoring these birds, because its not cheap!

Back