Gasket recommendation for 1956 transmission pan gasket

ron56

ron56

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently changed my ring and pinion to a 3.07 and found a very nice rearend gasket from Lubelocker. They don't make one for our automatics but does anyone know of a higher quality pan gasket other than cork?

I recently changed my ring and pinion to a 3.07 and found a very nice rearend gasket from Lubelocker. They don't make one for our automatics but does anyone know of a higher quality pan gasket other than cork?
I would call Casco, ( classic auto supply Co.) 740-622-8561. They manufacture many of their own parts and not just resell others products. They are on top of most of the innovations that help us keep our classics on the road.

The cork works great if installed correctly. (Cork and rubber mixture) on a lot of things and they do not leak. You spray the pan surface with the yellow weather-stripping glue and only one side of the gasket. I use cork or corapreme (cork and ruwhen it gets tacky you put them togather. When you assemble the pan to the transmission you insure that there is no oil or any kind of gasket sealer on the mating surface. If there is the cork will squeeze out of the sealing area. I even install the gaskets completely dry and they work great. Only have trouble when I use any kind of gasket sealer.

Agree totally with Dale,
Clean and DRY mating surfaces are the key with cork gaskets.
I tie the gasket to the pan through 4-6 bolt holes with very fine cotton thread. Does a great job to hold the gasket in place until the pan is in place. The thread has never interfered with sealing ability of the gasket. And of course don’t over tighten the fasteners. This little trick works great on oil pan gaskets when you’re rolling around under your car on your back.

Good points. It would seem my problem with the cork gasket is the fact that I did glue the gasket to the pan but I used silicone sealer between the gasket and the trans. Which in turn did cause the cork to squeeze out and now leaks. I'll give the no sealer (dry) at the cork trans interface a try. Thanks for your suggestions.

The cork works great if installed correctly. (Cork and rubber mixture) on a lot of things and they do not leak. You spray the pan surface with the yellow weather-stripping glue and only one side of the gasket. I use cork or corapreme (cork and ruwhen it gets tacky you put them togather. When you assemble the pan to the transmission you insure that there is no oil or any kind of gasket sealer on the mating surface. If there is the cork will squeeze out of the sealing area. I even install the gaskets completely dry and they work great. Only have trouble when I use any kind of gasket sealer.
Why not spray both sides of the gasket with the weather stripping adhesive?

Any old timer that’s been wrenching on this generation of cars most of his life will tell ya “DRY mating surfaces when using cork gaskets “ don’t mean to be a pain but that’s just the way it works.
Keep it simple Sam

Back