Gasket between turbo exhaust housing and downpipe elbow??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I am looking to install a twin turbo setup on my mustang. I am using two T3 turbos from 88 thunderbirds. I am doing the kit all custom and am looking for a gasket that gos between the turbo exhaust housing and the downpipe elbow. It is a 5 bolt pattern that is kinda funny shaped. If anyone knows what I am talking about is there a gasket that goes there and if not how does that seal without being an exhaust leak. thanks in advance.

no T3 on 87-88's

I like the sound of that project, but I hate to inform you of a mistake. There were no Garrett T3 turbo's on the 87-88 Turbocoupes. In 87 Ford switched to a Borg Warner IHI turbo with an intercooler, which had a smaller turbine housing, for faster spool up, but a lower flow rate. The car boosts hard from about 2G, but by the time you hit 4500, the turbo is choking the motor, and accelleration starts to die off.

The T3's were available on 83-86 Turbocoupes, SVO Mustangs, and Turbo Futura's. They took longer to spool, but kept pulling hard until redline when they did come to life. These cars didn't have intercoolers, (except SVO's) so their power output was slightly lower, even with the bigger turbo.

As for your question, though, I'm lucky enough to not have had the chance to pull my turbo out of the car for rebuild, yet. (and I stress yet) If you need more info, try turbotbird.com or NATo_Org (North American Turbocoupe Organization). Also, the boys at turboford.org will most likely be able to help you through every step of the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back