Gas Nozzel

Status
Not open for further replies.
57 bluebird

57 bluebird

VIP Contributor
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
This may be a New Jersy problem as we are not allowed to pump our own gas. The last 2 time I gassed up, when the lever clicked off the whole nozzel jumped out and fell on the ground. I will have to watch it from now on but has anyone else had this problem?

------------------
2002 Black/Black/Full Red
1957 Starmist Blue
1981 Shay (Gone but not forgotten)

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I pump my own gas, and I haven't had any problems like you describe. But then again, I don't leave the nozzle unattended either. Good luck with a solution.

KB

Oh I wanted so much to reply with something like...
Tell the attendant to put it all the way in, your girl can take it.
or
She had her fill, she is ready to blow this joint.

But thought that would be wrong.

Originally posted by 57 bluebird:
This may be a New Jersy problem as we are not allowed to pump our own gas. The last 2 time I gassed up, when the lever clicked off the whole nozzel jumped out and fell on the ground. I will have to watch it from now on but has anyone else had this problem?

This happened to me the FIRST time I put gas in the car. From that time on I hold on to it until it clicks off.

thats what I will do now, first time I thought it was the gas station attendent doing something wrong, but when it happened again I figured it was the car. I will at least tell them to pump slow. Oh and Nutty G. I know what you mean , I see the smile on their face.

------------------
2002 Black/Black/Full Red
1957 Starmist Blue
1981 Shay (Gone but not forgotten)

In this vein, I have a slight complaint with Ford about their treatment of the tethered gas cap. On every on of their cars I have noticed that when you take the cap off you have to let it dangle and rub against the side of the vehicle. Why couldn't they have put a little hook on the inside of the filler door like Chevy does so you can hang the cap there while you are fueling? Is there an after market hook we can buy to address this problem?

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

I hate the gas cap too. Mine always twists around where the inside of the cap (presumably with gas on it) is against the car. It would be great if someone could come up with a solution.

I've also wondered why they didn't put a locking fuel filler door on the car.

The S-Type Jaguar had a "Hanger" on the inside of the fuel door where you could hang the strap to the gas cap. It held the gas cap away from the paint.
It might take a longer strap to rig something up like that for the Thunderbirds (from an adhesive backed hook, etc.) Duane

All,
I don't have my car yet, but I may have a solution to the cas cap holder. Would using sticky backed velcro on the door and someplace on the cap work????? I may look into something like this when I get my car.
I could try it on the other three cars we have that have tethered cas caps and see if it could be done.
Just a suggestion....
George,lue/White/Full Blue on order......

On the subject of gas caps....

Am I the only one who HATES the "1/4 twist" design? I'm never really sure it's on tightly....

Tom M

My 1997 "foreign" car has the best setup I have ever seen...the (non-tethered) gas cap top section is plastic of some sort and has a deep slot to fit over the top of the door when open.

not the best but probably the simplest solution to the problem, cut the plastic strap and remove it put the cap ontop of the pump when pumping so its out of the way.

anyone know if the bullitt gas door will fit on the new bird???

------------------
1996 Thunderbird LX 4.6l
1966 Thunderbird "Q" code conv.

I'm sure there is a way to remove the tether from around the gas filler neck. Has anyone done this yet or do I need to be the guinnea pig?

p.s. joelja check your e-mail!!!!!!

------------------

I hold the tethered cap towards the rear of the car, insert the nozzle and then set the cap on top of the nozzle. Then reverse the order when done. No dangling cap against the paint and no chance of losing a un-tethered cap.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

-

Lon;

Yeah, that's what I am doing at present but you have to be careful and not let the cap slip off the top of the gas nozzle or you get a BANG of the gas cap against your car which I'm sure damages my nerves more than it does the car. I will somehow get the tether off the filler neck and report back.

------------------

Originally posted by TbirdMarty:
Lon;

I will somehow get the tether off the filler neck and report back.

Just for the heck of it, I just did that.
Took a 5/16 socket and removed the bolt holding the tether. Took a screw driver and ran it around the tether on the gas cap (very similar to taking a tire off a bicycle rim). The whole task took about 2 minutes (including the time looking for the 5/16 socket). Screwed the tether holder back on. I am leaving it like this.

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back