FYI: new clockspring fixed airbag code B1932

K
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
2002 Thunderbird, 40K mi - we got a B1932 airbag code & the cruise control stopped working, so I bought a Dorman replacement clockspring from J.C.Whitney that fit & functioned perfectly. Shipping was fast.

A good trick I'd like to share - with the ignition ON, I adjusted steering wheel as far down and and far outward as possible, and then disconnected the battery w/o turning ignition OFF (to avoid having the me column retract). That gave me enough room for access; I didn't need to remove any trim except the knee panel & upper & lower column shrouds and had no need to loosen any column support nuts.

Note that most (not all) of the black plastic trim retainers have a center that will release if pushed down ~1/4", and that a large 2-arm puller (not a typical steering wheel puller) is needed to pull the wheel. Some of the Ford multipin connectors required pliers to squeeze the release button hard enough to get them to let go. Almost everything is held by plastic clips, so be gentle.

Whole job took me ~4 hours having never touched a Thunderbird before, while being very slow & careful. Don't forget to recalibrate the windows after reconnecting the battery (see short drop glass in the owners manual).

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi.
Just wondering, do you need to remove the airbag to get to the nut holding the steering wheel on? Or is it held on by some other means?

Thanks,
John

Having replaced my clockspring last year, yes you do have to remove the air bag.

I have a post here with pictures, will try and find.

Having replaced my clockspring last year, yes you do have to remove the air bag.

I have a post here with pictures, will try and find.
I think this was the post. There was another thread with just a success photo about a week later

In process:

Finished:

Back