Fuel isn’t going to carb 1964 390

T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1964 Thunderbird 390 and it is almost running but no fuel is going to the carburetor. I checked the lines and they have fuel. What should I do so the carb gets gas? Should I replace the carb since it is an old Holley

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have a 1964 Thunderbird 390 and it is almost running but no fuel is going to the carburetor. I checked the lines and they have fuel. What should I do so the carb gets gas? Should I replace the carb since it is an old Holley
Make sure the choke is adjusted right first. It should slap shut when you push the gas pedal to the floor the first time before you start it. If not unloosen 3 screws on the round plastic adjuster. Hold the throttle open and adjust the choke so it's shut all the way. Tighten the screws. It will run at a high idle until the choke warms up .Hit the throttle to take it off high idle and the choke should be wide open by then. The float in the Carb might be stuck not allowing gas into the carburetor. Take the fuel line off the Carb and turn over the engine .it should be squirting out of that fuel line pretty good. If not fuel filter or pump might be bad. See if it will start with a couple squirts of starting fluid if it isn't the choke. Pump the hell out of it if it starts with it and wants to stall. Someone replaced the engine in my 67 and put an electric fuel pump on it. Make sure that's not your situation also

Please include the model year in the subject on future posts. I added for you.

Are you sure there is no debris coming from your gas tank? I put a new fuel pump and clear gas filter between gas tank and new fuel pump. I had so much rust residue being caught by the filter. That debris was going into my fuel pump before putting on that filter. After taking off gas tank, that was in the bottom of tank.

20180521_052835.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just went through this on my '64 T Bird. Fuel pump was failing. Symptoms included losing power while going down the road, surging, running like crap and just plain not starting at all. I replaced the fuel pump which got the fuel pressure up to spec, and the next thing that happened was the Holley started leaking. Rebuilt the carb and now it's running great. By the way, the failing fuel pump passed the pump-into-a-jar test but at it turned out, it was just messing with me!

Hi Dj-Dan. That's an impressive amount of residue in the fuel tank! One thing I neglected to mention in my last post is that Holley carbs are really finicky and need clean gas. There's the fuel filter in the fuel pump itself, and I think it wise to have an inline filter right before the fuel inlet to the carb. Anyone who has ever had a float needle valve stuck in the open position can attest to what a fuel geyser looks like...

Hi Dj-Dan. That's an impressive amount of residue in the fuel tank! One thing I neglected to mention in my last post is that Holley carbs are really finicky and need clean gas. There's the fuel filter in the fuel pump itself, and I think it wise to have an inline filter right before the fuel inlet to the carb. Anyone who has ever had a float needle valve stuck in the open position can attest to what a fuel geyser looks like...

Been there done that! I was returning from a trip down Route 66 in 2002 and when I got to the Chicago Raceway the gusher started spilling fuel all over the hot intake. I jumped out, open the hood just as the fuel ignited, smothered the flames with an old blanket and avoided any damages to the paint. Thanks to passersby, who drove me to a garage that specializes in old cars and bid goodbye to that old Autolight carb forever.

Once the new Holley, Street Avenger double pumper was installed I never looked back.
For whatever reason my fuel mileage improved as long as I kept my foot out of it. I have have broken that rule quite often, however.

Back