Front Disc conversion on 57

K
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
This T-Bird is for my wife, but I will do all the maintenance and work on it. Has anyone with 57 done a front brake disc conversion? Can you share any experience you've have?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

This T-Bird is for my wife, but I will do all the maintenance and work on it. Has anyone with 57 done a front brake disc conversion? Can you share any experience you've have?
I'm having the same problem finding a disc brake conversion for my 57 T-bird. It seems that all available units require that you must change to 15" wheels, from the standard 14" - this makes a $1,500 to $2000.00 expense rise to about $5000.00. You will have to replace your wheels and tires as apparently no one makes a rotor or caliper to fit within a
standard 14" wheel. Two that I am looking at are from Thunderbird Brake parts, front disc only list at $1,199.00, but you
will have to move your master cylinder to the trunk. The other is Jameco Parts, part #DBC5557T-14 casting $849.95.
Both claim that they will work on most 14" wheels. Anyone else have any ideas?

I'm having the same problem finding a disc brake conversion for my 57 T-bird. It seems that all available units require that you must change to 15" wheels, from the standard 14" - this makes a $1,500 to $2000.00 expense rise to about $5000.00. You will have to replace your wheels and tires as apparently no one makes a rotor or caliper to fit within a
standard 14" wheel. Two that I am looking at are from Thunderbird Brake parts, front disc only list at $1,199.00, but you
will have to move your master cylinder to the trunk. The other is Jameco Parts, part #DBC5557T-14 casting $849.95.
Both claim that they will work on most 14" wheels. Anyone else have any ideas?
I am not sure where you are looking for disc brake conversions unless you are pricing a four-wheel conversion. Front disc brake conversions seem to be more in the $600 range. And yes many can accommodate 14" wheels. On mine I did use a 1/4" spacer in front to clear the calipers. I preferred to use my original wheels. I I used later model 14" wheels for an originally disc brake equipped car I would not have needed the spacers.

Hi Jack - can you give me the name of the disk brake conversion provider? The prices that I quoted were for front disc
brake conversion parts only. I just returned from Cruising the Coast and talked with several providers for disc brake
conversions. They all said that they do not supply a disc brake conversion kit for a 1957 T-bird with 14" wheels. Then during the Vicari Auto Auction I met a fellow named Ray D. Can't find his business card in all the stuff I haven't unpacked. He said that Hill's Thunderbird sells a kit that he uses on all of his 1957 T-Birds. Ray restores and sells
tri-five Thunderbirds from Lafayette, Louisiana.

Here's what I found through Larry's Thunderbird. The kit came complete, which included a new wheel cylinder for the rear brakes. You will have do a little grinding on the spindle in order for the caliper mount bolts to line up. The kit also came with a new master cylinder and all the lines are stainless steel braided.

Attachments

• Disc conversion (1).jpg
    Disc conversion (1).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • Disc conversion (2).jpg
    Disc conversion (2).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
  • Disc conversion (3).jpg
    Disc conversion (3).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
Back