Found the best 1964 Power Steering Pump !

BigClay

BigClay

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just wanted everyone to know: I have rebuilt the Eaton power steering pump on my ‘64 TBird, three times. It still leaked (but it didn’t make any noise)..
So, I got the brainy idea to buy a “Cardone” (read:Chinese) lifetime guarantee new replacement. The first one lasted about 20 miles before it quit working. It screamed the entire time. It was replace for free (my labor), and the second one stopped working after about a month (maybe 50 miles), and screamed the entire time. Plan B: and I recommend to everyone: I purchased from CVF Racing, brackets to install a GM Saginaw pump on my 390FE. Absolutely perfect. Only thing, you have to purchase a later year double crank pulley, as the’64 set-up won’t work, and you have to get different fan belts. Stock hoses will fit. It now works without leaks or noise. I also installed a new Borgeson Steering gear, and the car drives like a new Mustang!

DEACB810-09E3-4D61-9CCF-071C630B9074.jpeg7D7120A9-3520-49DF-88C4-9E96C5FBE52A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just replaced my steering gearbox in a 64 Bird. It took three tries, the first two units failed immediately. I ordered my third unit from Redhead Steering in Washington State, works perfectly .

Just wanted everyone to know: I have rebuilt the Eaton power steering pump on my ‘64 TBird, three times. It still leaked (but it didn’t make any noise)..
So, I got the brainy idea to buy a “Cardone” (read:Chinese) lifetime guarantee new replacement. The first one lasted about 20 miles before it quit working. It screamed the entire time. It was replace for free (my labor), and the second one stopped working after about a month (maybe 50 miles), and screamed the entire time. Plan B: and I recommend to everyone: I purchased from CVF Racing, brackets to install a GM Saginaw pump on my 390FE. Absolutely perfect. Only thing, you have to purchase a later year double crank pulley, as the’64 set-up won’t work, and you have to get different fan belts. Stock hoses will fit. It now works without leaks or noise. I also installed a new Borgeson Steering gear, and the car drives like a new Mustang!

Couldn't agree more. I did the same with the exception of using the pump with a higher output and two return lines one from wipers and the other is for hydro boost brakes. It has been trouble free. My mount looks identical and the only thing i didnt care for was the limited adjustability. BTW NICE ENGINE BAY! are there any options for the steering gear?

Couldn't agree more. I did the same with the exception of using the pump with a higher output and two return lines one from wipers and the other is for hydro boost brakes. It has been trouble free. My mount looks identical and the only thing i didnt care for was the limited adjustability. BTW NICE ENGINE BAY! are there any options for the steering gear?
Don’t know what you are asking as “far as options”. Borgeson makes a generic box for mustangs and older full size fords. The new box is not as “tall” as the TBirds, so I fabricated a “dropped”(about 1”) Pittman arm. I also had to make a 1/2” thick spacer/adapter plate to bolt to body to center steering column with new box. I used 1/2” aluminum plate and drilled and tapped it to fit to body holes and box.
FE0D0E5F-EE98-40C3-87CF-B3F6309C88F2.jpegBDD04033-519A-4CD4-AB07-D71CA6AD3FF2.jpeg

Don’t know what you are asking as “far as options”. Borgeson makes a generic box for mustangs and older full size fords. The new box is not as “tall” as the TBirds, so I fabricated a “dropped”(about 1”) Pittman arm. I also had to make a 1/2” thick spacer/adapter plate to bolt to body to center steering column with new box. I used 1/2” aluminum plate and drilled and tapped it to fit to body holes and box.
[/QUOTE

Hello referring to steering box i was refering to ratios. Your original is a 64 and appears to be different then mine which is a 65. I will call them to see if all your fab work is required when replacing a 65 box.
Nice job ive noticed on picture with motor installed it appears to be headers maybe the cast type. The reason i ask is on the other picture which shows the gear box without motor installed you dont have the frame cross member installed did you have an intefernce issue with headers? I did and have not fabbed a replacement yet just wondering. Ive only had car on the road for less then 100 miles.

Frame crossmember is still there. I never had to take out. My headers are from Sanderson, made specifically for ‘64-66 TBirds. No clearance issues with anything that is stock. Mine hit the aftermarket steering box.

Big Clay the cross member im referring to mounts to area highlighted by yellow arrow in image. I went with FPA long pipes and they definetly have an interference issue with this cross member in question. The sandersons are short pipes and i can see there advantage in eliminating this problem. I know the 65 and 66 have this cross member but i never had a 64. There should be an exact mounting area on passenger side opposite what is shown in your image. IMG_0331.JPG

Big Clay the cross member im referring to mounts to area highlighted by yellow arrow in image. I went with FPA long pipes and they definetly have an interference issue with this cross member in question. The sandersons are short pipes and i can see there advantage in eliminating this problem. I know the 65 and 66 have this cross member but i never had a 64. There should be an exact mounting area on passenger side opposite what is shown in your image. View attachment 10567
Yes. Mine is a convertible, and it has the crossmember under the bell housing. It is off in this pic, but is in place now, and doesn’t interfere with anything.

Saw this thread from last year. I have a 64 hardtop that is in the process of a restomod. Not happy at all with the reman power steering on the car and was wanting to change out the system. Did you use the Borgeson # 800115 box? If so, which pitman arm did you use to modify the stock arm? Any help or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yes. Mine is a convertible, and it has the crossmember under the bell housing. It is off in this pic, but is in place now, and doesn’t interfere with anything.
I have since installed a C-6 transmission in my ‘64, and it interfered with the front crossover. I fabricated a new one as in pic below:

2D817C78-194A-45E0-BF0C-61CE2164F333.jpeg

This thread is the motherload of the info I have been looking for. Added hydroboost to the disc brake upgrade and the car stops on a dime, but the whine from that Cardone pump is horrible. Have been looking for a way to upgrade to a Saginaw and Big Clay found it, but mine is an AC car and the CVF bracket looks like I can't clock the pump to get around the compressor. Anybody done this to an AC car?

My 64 TBird needs a power steering pump and I'm wondering if there might be a more compact or better pump I can replace it with. Has anyone done this and how difficult would it be to find the necessary parts ?

View attachment 10487View attachment 10488
I took the one off of my 66 and redid things. also worked great. on 64. seems to run cooler at also on pump heat

Back