Found 1960 convertible to purchase

jpannier

jpannier

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have been searching for a 60 convertible for over a year now. I think I have finally found the one I want and I would like any advice regarding how I should proceed, what to look out for, etc.. It's located in New York and I live in Florida so, I know I have to get an inspector to look at it. Do you have any you would recommend. I found Lemon Squad but, they got terrible reviews. Carchex doesn't sound as if they deal much with classic cars. I've talked to the mechanic about its condition. They have replaced the 352 engine with a 390 and put a new Edelbrock carburetor on it. I would fly there to see it but, it's like two stops to get there and takes like 18 hours. So, any advice anyone has would greatly be appreciated.

I forgot to mention that the price is $38,900. How can I figure out if this is a good deal? I've looked on the web at other ones but, it seems that prices are all over the place. I did check Hemmings as well. What other resources are available?

Attachments

• 1960-ford-thunderbird-convertible2.jpg
    1960-ford-thunderbird-convertible2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 22
I found your car online in Malone NY. Looks excellent. N.A.D.A, guide list this car at 48K. The dealer has it listed for 44.9K .They must have lowered it. The brakes were up-graded plus dual system. Installed the 390 in place of the original 352. I don't know if making those changes effects the value but I can tell you, I have been doing frame-off restorations for over 40 years and you would not be able to restore that car 39K even if you did it yourself. I am in the process of restoring a '57 T-bird and I will have 30K in the car and I'm doing all the work. The dealer looks to be reputable.

I'd get as many pictures from the dealer as possible they shouldn't have a problem if they want to sell it. It looks good from the pic. Rod Stewart says EVERY PICTURE TELLS A STORY!!

I have been searching for a 60 convertible for over a year now. I think I have finally found the one I want and I would like any advice regarding how I should proceed, what to look out for, etc.. It's located in New York and I live in Florida so, I know I have to get an inspector to look at it. Do you have any you would recommend. I found Lemon Squad but, they got terrible reviews. Carchex doesn't sound as if they deal much with classic cars. I've talked to the mechanic about its condition. They have replaced the 352 engine with a 390 and put a new Edelbrock carburetor on it. I would fly there to see it but, it's like two stops to get there and takes like 18 hours. So, any advice anyone has would greatly be appreciated.
An in person inspection would be the best determiner of condition. For ~$40,000 I need to know it is as advertised. I an naturally sceptical of any car coming from an area that salts it roads in winter. As the 1960 Thunderbirds are of a unibody construction repairing anything but minor surface rust becomes expensive very quickly. I wish you well but I cannot endorse spending the money sight unseen,

I think I would ask for the history of the ownership of the vehicle, who had it, where and for how long? Any documentation on the repairs, pictures on top and underneath! You really need an independent auto appraisal to justify the cost, so spending a few $ hundred now might save you money and heart ache later.

I forgot to mention that the price is $38,900. How can I figure out if this is a good deal? I've looked on the web at other ones but, it seems that prices are all over the place. I did check Hemmings as well. What other resources are available?
Pretty car have one and 3 hard tops the dual brake is the best upgrade possible maby electric wipers the 390 motor there is only one way to tell but you hafto pull the pan .those cars rust alots so I would do a check with the new machines on lower parts. An alternator if doesn't have one a1wire or 2 wire doesn't need voltage regulator can leave old regulator in place.

Eureka! I think I've finally found one. I've talked to the owner at length as well as facetimed with him showing me the car, talked to his mechanic who did $6000 worth of work when he first bought it 13 years ago, gotten all of his maintenance records and had LemonSquad do a pre-inspection today which I'm told by the owner went well. We shall see when I get the report soon. The only three significant things that I know are wrong is that the headlights, windshield wipers and heater aren't working properly. I don't believe any of those would be very costly. Anyone? Also, can anyone recommend a reputable car transporter?

This car in not in NY. This car is NJ. I got the report back from LemonSquad today. Most of it was just normal wear and tear stuff that didn't concern me really. But, it did indicate evidence of body filler. The paint meter readings ranged from 7.5 mils to 19.5 mils. Does that mean a lot of filler or perhaps just a skim coat? I don't really know.

This car in not in NY. This car is NJ. I got the report back from LemonSquad today. Most of it was just normal wear and tear stuff that didn't concern me really. But, it did indicate evidence of body filler. The paint meter readings ranged from 7.5 mils to 19.5 mils. Does that mean a lot of filler or perhaps just a skim coat? I don't really know.
metric conversion of 2.54 cm to the inch and 1.o cm is 10 mm. ergo 19.5mm is near .8 of an inch. Filler that thick I am wary of.

Probably wouldn't mean much what would .mean most is where the body filler is if its on lower qt panel around wheel opening ,rocker panel , lower door. Would mean rust repair .

Probably wouldn't mean much what would .mean most is where the body filler is if its on lower qt panel around wheel opening ,rocker panel , lower door. Would mean rust repair .
You measure paint thickness and filler thicknessed in thousands of an inch not inch or metric thus mills two paint jobs on one car could be 3or 4 mills factory paint 1to 2 mills .neeto consult a conversion chart 19 mills isn't much texas certified appraiser body shop owner .

I tried four different conversion apps on the web and I came up with 19.5 mills (.0195 inches) equal 1/32". If that's correct it sounds more like a skim coat to me. And, the car was repainted about 13 years ago.

I tried four different conversion apps on the web and I came up with 19.5 mills (.0195 inches) equal 1/32". If that's correct it sounds more like a skim coat to me. And, the car was repainted about 13 years ago.
You previously posted cm not mil. There is a big difference. I took your post at face value. If it is mils it is quite different.

You previously posted cm not mil. There is a big difference. I took your post at face value. If it is mils it is quite different.
No. I posted mils, not cm. But, no biggie. You just had me concerned at first. Yea, that would definitely be too much filler.

Back