"Flapping" Noise in Front Right Wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kokonutgirl

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Hi. I am a brand new '02 owner. I have a flapping noise for lack of a better word in my front right wheel. It only does it up to about 30mph and then it stops. It doesn't make the noise in reverse. I have a 3,000 mile warranty on her but I have to drive 75 miles one way to the dealer where I bought her so if I can figure it out I'd rather fix her myself! Any suggestions as to what it could be? Brakes maybe? Thanks! :confused:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi koko, and Welcome to the Forum!!:D

So far the only real flapping noise I have heard of was when some owners had changed the cabin air filter and not secured the cover correctly. Actually reported as a buzzing noise. But that's up in the front, center of the windshield on the cowl. If that were it, which is an easy fix, could the noise be resonating so you think it's the right front wheel?

Otherwise, that's a tough one. Possibly have someone drive in front of you, at 25-30 mph, to make sure nothing out front or under the car is flapping in the breeze.

Last edited:
Well it turns out that the chrome on this inside of the wheel is peeling. I haven't taken the wheel completely off but was able to peel some off and viola' no more flapping noise. Ever heard of this? I think the car may have been in salt prior to my owning it so maybe the salt has corroded the wheels?

I have heard of pitting on the chrome wheels early on, back on 2002 - 2003. And, they got replaced under warranty. But I guess it's too late for free replacemnts for you - Sorry:( If you want to buy a replacement, I know of a place in MI that has them, PM me

Wheels peeling

When I purchased my 03' in summer of 05', I noticed that the inside of the chrome wheels were peeling. Being that it was still under warranty, Ford grudgenly replaced all four. Previous owner drove it in the winter. Records show that one wheel had been replaced before I had purchased it.

Kokonutgirl, I tried PM & email but there are none available to get to you. Anyway worldclass wheels has these if you are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back