Exhaust manifold crossover 55 Ford Thunderbird

Martin P

Martin P

1955 Ford Thunderbird Raven Black
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I had researched the options to help with the discoloring of the exhaust cross over on my 55 bird and decided to order the manifold gasket that has small hole in center, however my mechanic is in disagreement with this as he feels the purpose is there for a reason which is to warm up the choke on the carburetor. He suggested to remove the block and send out for correct heat type painting. What is others experience with this?

I had researched the options to help with the discoloring of the exhaust cross over on my 55 bird and decided to order the manifold gasket that has small hole in center, however my mechanic is in disagreement with this as he feels the purpose is there for a reason which is to warm up the choke on the carburetor. He suggested to remove the block and send out for correct heat type painting. What is others experience with this?
It can depend on where you live and when you drive IMHO. If you live in cold climate and the choke is often in use the crossover aids a cold engine. If you only drive in pleasant weather you may not need the choke. If you are a fellow who shows his car in judged shows then you do not want discoloration of the intake manifold from the heating due the crossover. BITD it was a common practice to block these crossovers in intake manifolds with aluminum foil so that the fuel charge was less heated resulting in a small loss in overall horsepower. You do what you wish depending on your needs and wants.. good luck, J.

What is your temp enviornment like? cold weather or warm? did you notice any significant impact from the overall running condition of Carburetor?

The heavy duty gaskets will go a long way in reducing the paint burn on this section of the intake manifold but I also suggest you use a high temperature paint as the standard spray can engine paint will still discolor even with this modification.

What is your temp enviornment like? cold weather or warm? did you notice any significant impact from the overall running condition of Carburetor?
I live in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio. The average high temperature in the summer months is 80 degrees. I did not notice any impact to the running condition of the carburetor. When I painted my engine I used a high temperature primer and Ford engine red/orange paint.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back