Engine / transmission conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
R
During last summer, I went for a ride in my 56 Green T-bird. The engine (312) made a clunking noise and so I parked it until I could open it up. When I got it open it wasn't pretty. My son suggested instead of rebuilding the 312 we put an updated 302 in it. I bought a totaled 1998 mercury mountaineer and the strip down began. There is no distributor and the wiring is really high-tech. Someone suggested putting in a distributor, change out the computer and wiring, and change the transmission to an AOD. This compounds the expense of the project. Anyone know of someplace that handles the wiring for this type of conversion (1998 mountaineer)? This seems to be the big problem.
For the t-bird true at heart, I'm not getting rid of the engine or transmission. I will set them aside for the next owner. And, I'm not making any major cuts to the frame.
I will be able to drive this car full time once completed, and hopefully get mid-twenties gas mileage.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Ford makes a harness specifically for "swap" applications. Contact dealer parts dept. and ask for SVO wiring kit. Ford advertises this and other custom items in all the custom/street rod magazines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back