engine swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

doubledeck1999

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
i am looking to put a 1996 ford mustang 4.6 liter engine into my 93 lx t-bird. it has a 3.8, does anyone know what i would have to change to make it go in easy?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

In short, everything...

To make the engine work, you'll need the eec, all electronics from the 4.6 as well as all the wiring harnesses.

Then you will also need to get the transmission. The AOD will not bolt up to the 4.6. It's a different bolt pattern completely and the n/a 3.8 AOD is very weak. I doubt it would hold up to the power of the 4.6. In addition, you'll also need to replace the drive shaft as it will be shorter and the rear end will need to be upgraded to the 8.8 to add strength at that point. The 7.5 differential will work for a while, but it is significantly weaker than the 8.8.

There are a few other things that would go along with this...like a fuel pump to get all the bugs worked out.

You're truely better off starting with a 4.6 if that's the way you want to go. Then all you have to do is swap on the PI stuff and move forward for more power. Or get a SC as they make more power than the 4.6 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back