Engine swap for my 57 T Bird

Z
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
What other engine will be a bolt in for my 57 T bird? the 312 just detonated and I would rather t spend money on a hotter engine, (427 chev tripower would be ice but will stick with the ford. 292 and 312 just lacking in power/performance and for the money there must be something better. Will of course save all stock 57 stuff should I sell. Also has anyone installed the electric power steering system?
There must be a better engine that will bolt in.....................yes/no?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi I'm currently trying various steering rack types attempting to replace all those joints, bars and crazy old steering box. Some I've researched have the option of electric assist but having a pump on my engine I'm still going with that. Previously I did a 56Olds with a later chevy rack and pinion which was fab. Also used an electric pump on a previous project which came off a Vauxhall mpv. My Tbird hasn't the space like the chevy but I've found a very short PAS rack which I've ordered. Update once I've received it and if it will go into the space and be an easy mod / fit.

I just stared our ground up rebuild and I'm using Boreson's complete power steering system, bolts in place -2 short hoses ,res. and your done. As far as power goes, we took out the old 312 w / overdrive. Putting in completely reworked 312, .30 over little hotter cam , polished the exhaust ports, exact dual quad set up, new style water pump, new style seals, etc. Now we have a period correct '57 that's going to be pretty strong. Failed to mention, found a 1963 C3-Cruise o Matic tranny which was indestructible compltly rebuilding and we're ready to roll in style

Good luck

What other engine will be a bolt in for my 57 T bird? the 312 just detonated and I would rather t spend money on a hotter engine, (427 chev tripower would be ice but will stick with the ford. 292 and 312 just lacking in power/performance and for the money there must be something better. Will of course save all stock 57 stuff should I sell. Also has anyone installed the electric power steering system?
There must be a better engine that will bolt in.....................yes/no?

For an engine to truly be a "bolt in" you would have to stay within the same family of engine blocks (the "Y" blocks). Many people have changed out to other engines but have had to fabricate their own engine mounts. There have been articles in the old Hot Rod magazines detailing the issues of such swaps. I currently have a 302 in my '55. It had been changed before I got it. The job was done by welding in plates, supported/ gusseted from underneath. I have a friend in the Thunderbird club who has been in volved in a few swaps. He has done Ford 390, 351W, 289 and a chevy 350. He told me that there is always an isue around the steering box.
I have a problem with my frame so now I am preparing to put the body and drivetrain onto a '56 frame. I will be fabricating the drivetrain mount system. You could also talk to some hot rodders because they are often mating different drivetrains into frames and have some pretty easy, simple means of installation.

Hi I'm currently trying various steering rack types attempting to replace all those joints, bars and crazy old steering box. Some I've researched have the option of electric assist but having a pump on my engine I'm still going with that. Previously I did a 56Olds with a later chevy rack and pinion which was fab. Also used an electric pump on a previous project which came off a Vauxhall mpv. My Tbird hasn't the space like the chevy but I've found a very short PAS rack which I've ordered. Update once I've received it and if it will go into the space and be an easy mod / fit.

Planning to go with electric power steering along with my power disk brakes, not sure if stay with the large steering wheel or the smaller diameter one. So far only complaint with the power disk brake set up is you feel that the brake pedal is in your lap....must be a solution for that ???

Back