Edelbrock Intake install on my 1969 Thunderbird

Ok
Sounds like your distributor might be a tooth off when you put it back in. Take # 1 spark plug out and have someone bump the ignition switch while you have your finger over the spark plug hole. When you feel the pressure or pop of air on your finger that's TDC. Look into the hole with a light and make sure the piston is right on top. Take off your distributor cap and your rotor tip should be pointing to # 1 spark plug wire. If It's not you're about a tooth off on your distributor
okay I’ll do that. Though how can I tell the difference between the compression stroke and the exhaust one? Wouldn’t the exhaust stroke too blow my finger out as well as the compression one?

Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Ok
okay I’ll do that. Though how can I tell the difference between the compression stroke and the exhaust one? Wouldn’t the exhaust stroke too blow my finger out as well as the compression one?
Compression stroke makes the popping air sound the exhaust stroke won't do that. When you feel the pop of air that's compression stroke and TDC
Exhaust stroke relieves the pressure back out through the valves to the exhaust.
After you make sure the rotor tip is pointing at # 1 spark plug wire
Look at your timing mark on the harmonic balancer
It should be pointing to TDC
if not it's not timed right. Go over it again and check everything until it is

Last edited:
Compression stroke makes the popping air sound the exhaust stroke won't do that. When you feel the pop of air that's compression stroke and TDC
Exhaust stroke relieves the pressure back out through the valves to the exhaust.
After you make sure the rotor tip is pointing at # 1 spark plug wire
Look at your timing mark on the harmonic balancer
It should be pointing to TDC
if not it's not timed right. Go over it again and check everything until it is
Okay thanks for the heads up! I am going to try to get to it this weekend. New job has just be so busy I haven’t had much time to work on the car much.

Okay thanks for the heads up! I am going to try to get to it this weekend. New job has just be so busy I haven’t had much time to work on the car much.
I'm retired now but have 15 acres and 2 houses on the property to look after and take care of. That's what keeps me busy.

Back